View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:24 PM

More on teeth - when are the middle ones supposed to be through?

A quick question or two - between the front teeth including the canines and the big ones at the back, most dogs grow some more later on, although I know some don't (Polly didn't). This is know as "full dentition" in the show ring and is a requirement in some breeds.
Now - take a male dog, a very slow developer in every physical aspect, who now has the top two rows of these middle teeth about a third of the way through, but on the bottom jaw has just one tiny point on one side and nothing whatsoever on the other side.
Question 1 - will all of them come through on the bottom jaw in time?
Question 2 - by what age would you normally expect these to have come through??
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Fortunately all mine have full dentition, but I have seen some setters with a whole side of bottom teeth missing

Using Bradley as a guide, he is 5 months tomorrow and has had his adult teeth for about a month now.

Mine have always had their adult teeth by the time they have been shown at 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:27 PM
This dog is nearly 2 years old. The vet is astonished, apparently.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi deccy, You probably know all this already but;

question 1. The order of tooth replacement is incisors first, then canines, and finally premolars. Four premolars line each side of the upper and lower jaws in back of the canines. The top jaw has two molars on each side, and the bottom jaw has three.

question 2. As for the age ..well; Puppy teeth begin to shed and be replaced by permanent adult teeth at about four months of age. Most adult dogs have 42 teeth, with the molars coming last, at about six or seven months. But again there is some variation between breeds...I can only speak from my own experience. Hope that's of some help.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
This dog is nearly 2 years old. The vet is astonished, apparently.
Sorry must have X posted...but frankly..I'm astonished..nearly 2 (that is late).
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:39 PM
No I didn't know that Meganrose, thanks for sharing!
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2006, 12:29 AM
My little girl is now 9 months old - she has all of her teeth except for the pre molars on the right side. She has one pre molar on the right side that is just starting to come through. It is so slow.

When I had her desexed, the vet told me that the teeth might be a bit slow, but I didn't expect this.

I must admit that I did have a German Shepherd who never got her pre-molars.

Is it the de-sexing that upsets the hormones or something?