Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2006, 06:05 PM

Milk Teeth Retention...

Does anyone have any tips as to encouraging the baby top fangs to come out when the adult ones are through and they haven't pushed the baby ones out naturally? My friends dog has this problem and I know from having a Yorkie with double top fangs that a Vets intervention was the only way around it. She's not a big fan of putting dogs under an anaesthetic and would rather wait a while as the dog is only just 7 and a half months old but is there anything she can do to encourage them to loosen up themselves and also how long should she wait before she gets them removed by a vet. Thanks
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I was told cow's hooves and to encourage the pup to have plenty of chews, but one of my boys still has both teeth. He is a year old now, so will check with the vet in the new year.
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-12-2006, 12:45 AM
I too was worried - but eventually the teeth came out. I gave a bit of a wiggle each day. It took about 4 weeks. I was concerned that I would have to take the pup to the vet.

Certainly don't need that extra expense.

Just wait a while and see what happens.

Meanwhile, just do what I did - just very gently put your fingers in and push and pull.

It only needs the most gentlest of pressure - about what you would do if you scratched your arm.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 09:38 AM
My friend has pomeranians and nearly all of hers have had to be operated on to remove them, bit drastic I think but she wanted to show them and was getting knocked because of it.

When I got Tawny, the pointer, she was 7 months old and had one of her puppy fangs still in place, when she got here she just had the rawhide chews like the others do and, next time I checked, a couple of days later, it had gone.

I don't know whether it was on its way out or if the chew helped, certainly none of my setters ever had them there after about 5 months.

If your friend can get them out without an anaesthetic it would be great. As already suggested, anything that encourages the dog to chew at an angle should help, or a bit of gentle manipulation.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the replies...as I remember with my Yorkie, the milk teeth don't seem to have much of a root, if anything at all....when the bottom ones came out they seemed rootless. I suggested to her about giving them a wiggle but she was worried they might snap off and leave some root behind but am I right in thinking they don't have any roots like adult teeth do? Help and advice always appreciated. Thanks