View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Any dog you have owned you wouldn't own again?

As the title suggests really!

Have you ever owned a breed and decided never to get one that breed again?

Was it a "whim" at a rescue, or from a breeder?

Or had experience with a breed so much it put you off even though you wanted one?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 09:07 AM
i havent, but i only have my two. and there are a load of breeds i want to own in the future

but my nana had a japanese chin, and she said she would never have another one, because hers went to his first dog show (was vaccinated, everything above board) and he caught parvo and died. she was absolutely heartbroken, he was only 6 months old, and she absolutely loved him. so she said she would never have another...
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I probably wouldn't have another patterdale x again! She could jump for England, escape from Alcatraz and yap like I have never heard yapping before. I eventually gave her to my x mother-in-law. She lives out in the sticks with lots of land and Tess is in her element.

I am sticking to bigger dogs.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 09:26 AM
No but there are a few dogs I'd like to own but wouldn't as I know I haven't got the right lifestyle or the time they need to bring out the best in them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 09:29 AM
I have a mini foster dog and have discovered that I am not a little dog person. I will care for him as long as he needs me but I fear I am not living up to his expectations as I don`t do laps and hairdressing and stuff. Or carry him about.
Big dogs are far less demanding.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 09:38 AM
As I'm on my first dog, I can say I'd DEFINITELY have another Greyhound again in the future! We did have a Labrador when I was younger and although I loved him dearly, I'd probably never have a labrador again - BIG shedders! I realised when house sitting for several breeds (I've done everything from Utonagan, GSD, Border Collie, Labrador, etc) that I really don't like heavy shedding. I like how little Greyhounds shed. I didn't like the fact the hairs got everywhere and stuck to your clothes....so yeah, that limits me to a few breeds!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Terriers definitely and labradors.

I did say no more collies but then Benj arrived! So I suppose anything could happen!

rune
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have a mini foster dog and have discovered that I am not a little dog person. I will care for him as long as he needs me but I fear I am not living up to his expectations as I don`t do laps and hairdressing and stuff. Or carry him about.
Big dogs are far less demanding.
Not all little dogs are like that, Frankie would be mortified if I tried to carry him and he hates hairdressing and stuff. I think your little un has been ruined by his previous owner and he's trying to mould you. Aww I hope an appropiate owner turns up for him soon.
There isn't any dog I've owned that I would say no to owning again, although these days I do prefer short coated breeds.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Heartbreaking as it is, I have had Rough Collies in my life since I was 3 years old. Always loved them, always will. But Poppy will be my last.

She is utterly breath takingly beautiful, at nearly 9, she is so elegant and graceful. She can be loving and sweet, and out of the three, she is the one who thrives on attention, and cuddles (actually gives the best cuddles ever!)

But she is such hard work, almost schizo, one minute loving and sweet, next minute freaking out over nothing, hates being groomed, has been known to snap (so I have to be ultra careful with DS) That probably is not down to her breeding (her breeders are lovely people) more down to the morons who owned her for the first 4 years of her life.

I also dont like the way (some) RC lines are going, I dont think the temperament is as good as it once was.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I haven't owned an Italian Greyhound although I would love to.

They are like beautiful, animated, Dresden china, but I probably never will own one as that delicate fragility, and the potential for broken legs, particularly when cohabiting with a number of much larger dogs, scares me too much

Any dog can have an accident and break a leg but to get a dog and knowingly put it at risk is a very different situation.

Having said that, I knew of one that broke a leg just jumping off a chair, no other dogs or people involved.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »