View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
The most dangerous dog I have ever met was a Shih Tzu, this dog had bitten at least five people including owners and children and the last time the poor person needed 10 stitches in his leg.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 09:28 AM
To be fair to the CM episode, the end result was CM saying no matter what the perception, it is the handler/owner at fault not the dog either through ignorance or design. That even the most 'aggressive' dog breed can make a loving family pet and even the most loving family pet can become aggressive.

But CM aside (plenty more threads on him for that debate). I found an article stating the top 10 most aggressive dogs based on bite reports and severity of attack in the US and it reads:

10. Dalmatians
9.Boxer
8. Presa Canario
7.Chow chow
6. Doberman
5. Malamute
4. Husky
3. German Shepherd
2. Rottweiller
1. Pitbull
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 09:47 AM
10. Dalmatians
9.Boxer
8. Presa Canario
7.Chow chow
6. Doberman
5. Malamute
4. Husky
3. German Shepherd
2. Rottweiller
1. Pitbull
I like this list but would rearrange a few of them.

Chow's closer to the top and Dalmatians and Boxers at the midrange. Pits would be last. I've never met a Presa, so I can't say. So in its place I would add Akitas. I also have found Malamutes to be more laid back than huskies, so I would take them off the list and add Australian Cattle Dogs. I would also take Dobermans off the list. Never had a problems with one. Replace with Shar Pei's.

So my list would look something like this.

1) German Shepherds (due to bad breeding in this country)
2) Chow Chows
3) Dalmatians
4) Akitas
5) Shar Pei
6) Huskies
7) Boxers
Rotties
9) ACD's
10) Pits

But to be honest its usually the dog that kept in a yard all its life, poorly socialized and poorly bred, no matter the breed, that is going to try to bite someone.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I like this list but would rearrange a few of them.

So my list would look something like this.

1) German Shepherds (due to bad breeding in this country)
2) Chow Chows
3) Dalmatians
4) Akitas
5) Shar Pei
6) Huskies
7) Boxers
Rotties
9) ACD's
10) Pits

But to be honest its usually the dog that kept in a yard all its life, poorly socialized and poorly bred, no matter the breed, that is going to try to bite someone.
Agree with your last comment, I hate lists of this sort. It's not really down to breed is it, more the enviroment and training they get?

BUT, If i HAD to I would remove Akitas from the list altogether, but add some of their dumbass owners I would remove GSD's and add Dachshunds to the top and also add ****su's and jack russels somewhere, maybe instead of Boxers and Dalmations.

I have found that a lot of owners with small breeds train their dogs terribly and I am always wary of them! Just because they are small it get's laughed off and they somehow get away with snarling on their back legs aggressively in the street, or even biting.

Blimey - Can you imagine me stood on a pavement with my 2 akitas on their back legs barking away ferousically at another dog and the comments I would get?! I would never allow it to happen!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I bet if more people reported small dog attacks there would be more small dogs on this list. If I were to make a list of dog bites ivhave personally witnessed based on severity and intent my list would become:

10. German shepherd
9. Rottweiller
8. Chihuahua
7. Jack Russell
6. Labrador
5. Staffordshire bull terrier
4. Lancashire heeler
3. Westie
2. Corgi
1. Norfolk terrier
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree that small dogs should be higher up for sure. Only dog that every bit me was a Yorkie (admittedly he was old and had no teeth). Based on people aggression from breeds I've seen when working at a boarding kennels, I'd say...

10. Cairn Terrier
9. Yorkshire Terrier
8. Border Collie
7. Malamute
6. Lancashire heeler
5. Rottweiler
4. Shetland Sheepdog
3. Jack Russell
2. Belgian Shepherd
1. Shar Pei

Every shar pei I meet seems to want to attack me =/
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
The only really bad bite I`ve had was from a friend`s mongrel - possibly a lab cross but smaller. He ate my finger.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd seen a list and top was Dachshund and chihuahua
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I can see where people are coming from with Dachschunds and Jack Russells as being snappy/feisty but fortunately they are usually too small to be called "dangerous" as their bite would not have the same impact as a Pit-bull for example. Poor Cherry has been bitten by a Rottweiller and a Chihuhua and she didn't even notice the Chi had bitten her but she was very poorly after the Rotty bit her (and the owner had a large vet bill to pay).

People do think it doesn't matter if their small terrier/Dachschund runs up and tries to have a go at your dog because it is small which I do find annoying. I previously had 3 lovely tempered Cairn terriers but I didn't let them get "Spoiled little dog" syndrome as we used to do obedience/agility etc.

An owner with a feisty Dachschund that she had off-lead and it ran up to Cherry snarling was quite offended when I used my pet corrector spray to get it to move back from Cherry (who was on leash at the time). I said her dog's behaviour was unacceptable-if it didn't have good doggy social skills she should keep it leashed and if she wouldn't control the dog then I would! Parker was off-leash and I bet if he had retaliated to protect Cherry she would have had a go at me! (he wouldn't as he is very mellow and puts up with a lot from small dogs). However at least she now leashes her 4 snappy yappy dogs when we see her in the park.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
A few years back when a survey was done of A&E units records, Black Labradors came out "tops"in the bite charts !! As there are more Labradors bred in the UK than any other breed then I would expect this to be the result.
Good point - and sadly one that seems to be overlooked time and again when they are arguing about certain breeds being dangerous.

There are a number of Labs around here that have attacked - my own sister had one that had to be PTS, yet her current bitch is a sweet-heart.

I know it's an old line that I like to trot out a lot - but when you consider how many Rotts (and other breeds on the list) that attend shows up and down the country (there are over 300 Rotts at Crufts this year alone) and yet I have yet to see a judge get bitten by one or a dog fight in the ring! If they are that dangerous, how come all these hundreds of dogs aren't scrapping or trying to hurt the thousands of visitor that attend?

I would say that dangerous list is about the same for the UK - Rotts, Staffies, GSD's, Dobies Bull-breeds in general being the top few. Mostly any large breed (Staffs excepted) that people are intimidated by and have heard that breed has attacked.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >