Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Maybe Someone Can Help Me

Ok so Im just now taking the time to post this question and see what ya'll think about it. When we were looking for a rescue dog we came across several dogs that werent allowed to be housed with kids because they were too hyper and might knock the kid down. Now to me that just sounds like some lame reason to not allow a dog a home. Kids (at least imo) are going to be knocked down by many things in their life and quite honestly Im not seeing the problem. A dog no matter the 'type' is going to have to adjust to the new home and maybe the dog is so hyper because its in a place where its not getting the exercise thats required. And kids, to me, seem like the best exercise partners for a hyper dog. I think that Im reaching out on a limb here but I really dont understand why a dog that has energy cant be placed in a home with kids. It should be up to the parents to decide if thats what they want or not. Am I making sense???
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I can understand what you're saying and for a sensible, knowledgable owner I think you're right.

But the rescues normally say this because they've had plenty of experience of people unprepared for how boisterous dogs can be and of dogs being returned with the 'it keeps knocking over poor little johnny'. Rather than go through the hassle and heart break of the dogs being rehomed again and again, they find it easier just to put the blanket policy in place.

I do agree with the principle, but I wish that more would look a bit more at the individual merits of each case.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah I can see what you are saying. The rescue that we got Ivan from normally requires a fenced yard for all their dogs. But because we already had an Aussie and had horses and what not they felt he would have plenty of excerise being with us so they waved the fence thing for us. Which we were delighted for. And I agree I really wish that they would make it a case by case thing but most of them dont take that kind of time.