View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:41 PM
As you say, I can see that not having a garden isn't ideal, but I wish that rescues wouldn't be so black and white about their rules. I realise it may be hard sometimes to make judgement calls but there are so many dogs in rescue needing homes.

As far as I can see, the only difficulty in not having a garden is if something happens where a public place to exercise is off limits - e.g. what if your dog got kennel cough or something similar which meant he wasn't to be allowed where other dogs go?

What is so sad about their rules is that they will turn people to BYB rather than rescue exactly because the rescue centre turn them down.

Don't give up though. The SSPCA bent their rules on hours of work for me & OH because of the dog we chose - hopefully you will find one who is prepared to do the same for you.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:43 PM
That narks me I homecheck for quite a few rescues and I have passed a few people in flats but unfortunatly some rescues have these stupid blanket policys like wont re-home puppies to family with kids DUR could rehome puppie to a couple who then have kids just stupid.
PM me we have had loads of dogs in Saturday.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Looking at some of the adverts i've seen from "breeders" on free ad sites i'm sure i'd being doing some of these animals a favour by taking on of them to a loving home. The trouble there is i don't want to encourage most of these people to be breeding dogs in the first place.
That's a very good point! Perhaps this is the kind of thing they are encouraging indirectly? Perhaps you should put it in writing to your local rescue centre?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:46 PM
PS
Someone told me not to fill out the section of the form that you have difficultly with - you then get a chance to explain your situation fully rather than them just ticking or crossing the box. e.g. where you walk him, what you would do if he needed isolation for awhile etc.

Its still no guarantee, but gets them to hear your side.

Good luck.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I think it is often stupid of Rescue Centres to have blanket policies, they seem to put too many restricitons on who can have a pet, which often means the perfect people miss out. It is even more silly when you consider the fact that many un-registered pups can be bought for less than the rehoming fee, so they then wonder why puppy farming exists and is successful.

Mike, don't give up hope, try a few other rescue centres, not sure what breed you're after, but places like many tears, wiccaweys might be able to help. It could help if you got together a couple of references from people that knew how you looked after Jake. Good luck in finding another rescue.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Maybe if you went down to the rescue centres armed with a local map. Reason for a map -I would get a bright red highlighter pen and put a cross where your home is and then highlight all the green areas around that the staffy would be able to run and play in, that are in walking distance. Then another yellow marker so you can show all the green areas within ten minutes' drive.
Take in a reference from your vet and neighbours too if you can. The more you are prepared to answer them the more likely they will say yes.

Good luck in rescuing your staff *hug*
MAGADOG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Dont lose heart, x

You have a pm
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry to post again, but I keep thinking of you - its clear from your posts about Jake that you were a great owner and it would be so sad if they didn't let you have a rescue dog.

Do you have any family or close friends who have a garden and who would be prepared to write a letter saying that if for any reason your dog was not able to be exercised in public (e.g. kennel cough) that they would have the dog stay with them for the duration or that you would be allowed to use their garden ?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Hun I'm so sorry about jake first and foremost, second of all, what a stupid attitude some rescues seem to have!!!!

Have you thought of going directly through the staffy rescue? xxx
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm really Sorry your having difficulty in trying to rehome another rescue.Sadly some rescues are very narrow minded,They make me sick they really do.

Have you tried our own SBT Rescue ?

Some contact numbers below,
Dorset Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue
Mrs D Dennet, Broadstone, Dorset. Tel: 01202 699198

Downlands Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club Rescue Service
Pat Pritchard (Co-ordinator), North Cheam, Surrey. Tel: 020 8641 2786

Hampshire Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue
Email: hsbt@dogrescue.net Hampshire Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue

Leicestershire Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue
Mrs Norma Vann, Gaddesby, Liecs. Tel: 01664 840570

North Eastern Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club Rescue
Mrs A Hubery, Bishop Auckland, Co Durham. Tel: 01388 608763