Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 07:33 PM

CS gas and dogs

Am just watching 'Send in the dogs' and the police dog handler and dog tackled a suspected armed man. The police officer sprayed the man with CS gas and got some on himself and ran out of the house coughing and spluttering (understandably). The narrator said that dogs were not affected by CS gas and the dog, who was also very close to the man at the time, certainly didn't seem to be at all affected. Does anyone know if this is true and why it does not affect them?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I saw that too and was surprised. Think this programme is just a big PR job showing how well the police force treat their dogs as I seem to remember it was broadcast just after there was an article about harsh training methods and then there were the 2 police dogs left in a van on a hot summer's day and they both died

I do like watching it for the lovely and intelligent dogs though. I love it when they bite the criminals!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I saw that too and was surprised. Think this programme is just a big PR job showing how well the police force treat their dogs as I seem to remember it was broadcast just after there was an article about harsh training methods and then there were the 2 police dogs left in a van on a hot summer's day and they both died

I do like watching it for the lovely and intelligent dogs though. I love it when they bite the criminals!
I remember the case, it was terrible, those poor dogs

I love to watch the dogs and their handlers, the dogs obviously love what they are doing and there is such a bond between handler and dog. It was so sweet to watch the police officer carry his dog safely over all of the broken glass.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Just wanted to add, we don't see enough of that though
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Just wanted to add, we don't see enough of that though
No I quite agree! Perhaps they don't want to upset any criminals who may be watching
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 09:21 PM
No I quite agree! Perhaps they don't want to upset any criminals who may be watching
Yes, we mustn't upset them must we.......

I did laugh at the boy in the wheelie bin getting dragged out - I bet he peed himself
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I saw that.
The handler sprayed into the air in front of him then he and his dog dashed forward. So he was running directly through the spray - whereas the dog was below it.
Love Leo!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I saw that.
The handler sprayed into the air in front of him then he and his dog dashed forward. So he was running directly through the spray - whereas the dog was below it.
Love Leo!
I thought that might have been the case (I was watching the tv with dogsey on the laptop so I was flitting between both and I wasn't 100% sure what had happened). It was just when the narrator said about the gas not affecting the dog, I wasn't sure, if like you said, Leo was below it so escaped it or, somehow, it just doesn't affect dogs full stop.

I love Leo too I loved to see him playing with his handler, bless his little heart!