Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You do know most canals are only 3 to 4 foot deep don`t you? The (full) locks can be deep but narrowboats only draw about 1` of water.
We used to go on narrowboat holidays and the dogs never wore lifejackets.

Hmm well I live extremely close to the Kennet and Avon Canal, and even closer to the famous Caen Flight and I can assure you that parts of this canal are a lot deeper than that having observed a rescue operation there.

In addition, unlike many canals, due to its height and number there are side "ponds" which add to the risk for those people and dogs who are not watersafe.

Thousands of people walk along here every year, and there are a fair few occasions when dogs have to fished out panicking.......................
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:45 AM
No, but then I would never ever allow my dogs to swim in an area that was not safe. If the body of water was too fast flowing, the banks for getting out were too steep, etc., they stay on lead.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
No, but then I would never ever allow my dogs to swim in an area that was not safe. If the body of water was too fast flowing, the banks for getting out were too steep, etc., they stay on lead.

Precisely but the OP said her dog went self employed.................. some people have control over their dogs around water and others do not.

So my advice was to put a flotation device on the dog for this reason and that she did not know the dog could swim!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You do know most canals are only 3 to 4 foot deep don`t you? The (full) locks can be deep but narrowboats only draw about 1` of water.
We used to go on narrowboat holidays and the dogs never wore lifejackets.
It's more - I've seen the rubbish some people chuck in the urban parts of our canal and don't fancy a dog covered in it!

I also know the sewage arrangements for the houses on the riverbank at my mum's... don't want a dog covered in THAT either!

There's also the issue with canals having the sides meaning it's harder to get out of... and Smokeybear mentions the Kennet and Avon - an ex used to have a boat on that and one of the locks is a 19 foot(? - forget the exact figure for the Bath deep lock but I know it was a horrid climb up the ladder when I had to do it) drop.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Cosmo I admit, has v poor recall around water and loves
to swim. He went into fairly shallow water in his harness once and got stuck on a submerged branch and
panicked. He didn't learn from it, we did though. He now never swims in a harness, even his collar worries
me. He is onlead around water until I know it's safe.

We never walk by canals. I don't want him going in them. They are pretty dirty places and you can't tell what's under the water, I wouldn't personally want my dog in them. Too many risks, but then I wasn't keen on our canal boat holiday as I kept thinking about rats.....( we didn't have Cosmo then!)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Mollie loves water and is a good swimmer but we never let her in without a lead and harness so we can get her back if there is a problem. Learned the hard way when our late great Benny dog swam across a river and couldn't get himeself back so hubby had to go in after him. Happy outcome and we laugh about it now but could have been a disaster.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Some very mixed opinions then.Some people would have no problems with them swimming without a device.No-one seems to use one on a daily basis but they are used on boating/kayaking holidays.

It seem the general consensus is that as long as the water is clean and the dog can get in and out pretty easily and you know your dogs ability all is well. It goes without saying that recall and safe commands are a must.I suppose it is a natural process for dogs to present new training dilemmas as their confidence and experience of the world develops. Another reason for training to be kept up throughout a dogs life not just as a basic set of commands taught as a puppy.

Thanks for all the input.....
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Nope, my dogs can all swim brilliantly and do it on a regular basis so I see no need for a flotation device.

I guess, like Smokeybear, I choose where my dogs swim and it's not in canals, too dirty IMO. They arent allowed to swim in dirty water, water where the current might be too strong or access water where the banks are steep.

Round here there are plenty of lakes and reservoirs, shallow rivers etc and my dogs honed their swimming skills in these.
There was a horrible moment several months ago where Jessie took the wrong way coming back across the river and chose the deep section. She was on a bend and couldnt beat the current plus she was at a section where the bank was a steep stone wall. I could see she was getting panicky and tired and I managed to coax her to lift herself up slightly and I had to lie on the grass and lean right over but I managed to grab her collar and haul her out. It was a frightening moment.
She let go of the toy but we went further down the river and I sent Flynn in after it. With his longer legs and power I knew he wouldnt have a problem.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Nope no devices here, Kiz and Poppy are both water babies and we go swimkies at least 3 times a week at a local lake, Bailey can swim - took him to doggy hydrotherapy - but he doesn't like not having his feets on the firm ground. However I know he can if the need ever arises.

We've only been by a canal once - Bailey was on lead the other two off and they didn't seem bothered by the water . . . . . until a canoeist came past and BANG Kiz was in and chasing it She recalled back almost immediatley and got out ok, the look on the canoeists face was priceless and I did giggle about it afterwards when all were safe but now I stay away as it worries me more what's been dumped in it than Kiara tiring.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I live right by a canal and a river thinking about it but my dogs never offer to go into the canal because i've never allowed or encouraged it but they will take themselves off into the river but only in the places where they always play.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >