Female 

18-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Devastating That poor wee baby
Rest in peace baby girl x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Awful, poor little girl, only a few days in the world
Amazed it was a malamute as you all know I part own a gsd x mal and he is the most laid back boy you could ever meet, to put it in my friends (where he lives) words, he eats, sleeps and sh!ts!!!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Really sad to hear a child had to die again..

This shows that any dog is capable of doing this though, not just the 'dangerous' dog breeds.

It says the baby was found dead next to the dog (which had only been adopted a few months previously).
What the dog did by herself in the nursery with a 5 day old baby is beyond my understanding though.
They also said that the exact cause of death has not yet been established, the baby previously was in intensive care the first 2 days after it was born and might not have been 100% healthy.
Another reason not to leave her alone with a big dog!

I don't know what to say anymore to these things..
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Well, as always with no real information to go on it's hard to come to any conclusions.

Neighbours on the news have just said the dog was very friendly.

Interesting that this dog has been "taken away" though and every other child related fatality has resulted in the dog being destroyed at the scene of the crime.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2014, 06:45 PM
I too am reserving judgement on this, but what on earth was the dog doing alone with the baby

Until the full facts come to light I refuse to blame the dog, and even if it did attack the child then it could hardly be blamed if it WAS left alone.

Poor little scrap though.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Terribly sad.

Is it known that the baby was alone with the dog? These things can still happen with adults present. A baby wouldn't stand a chance with most dogs, even with an adult present. One bite or shake could kill.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2014, 07:28 PM
CS, so far it seems to be being reported that the mother "discovered" the baby next to the dog, so possibly there was no adult around.

Still, let's see what the full facts reveal.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Sad story, but honestly... Alaskan Malamutes are one of the "nasty" breeds here in America. They are always on the top 10 bite list here. So, I'm not super surprised about the breed.

They are known for high prey drive and just general high drive. They are really not good as indoor pets in normal households. They can be very hard to train, and extremely stubborn.

They are NOT for beginners or dog owners that don't know what they are doing (which makes up a LOT of the dog owner population). So to have one cooped up alone with a child is more or less asking for something to happen.

Painful to keep hearing about these horrible dog attacks (along with the ones that happen here) but they won't stop until people wise up and STOP leaving dogs alone with small kids...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
CS, so far it seems to be being reported that the mother "discovered" the baby next to the dog, so possibly there was no adult around.

Still, let's see what the full facts reveal.
I see. Thank you.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >