Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sorry to hear your dogs are suffering...

Take a look at the very good link I gave in an earlier post, it gives ideas on what you can do both now and in the future. Here it is in fact:

http://www.dogsandfireworks.com/down..._fireworks.pdf

I'd also definitely try scullcap and valerian tablets (Dorwest herbs/some vets and pet shops sell them too) and dose carefully based on body weight... I find them a total godsend, and I was sceptical at first

If you use them, start about a week before bonfire night (or at least, start now if you are already having problems).

Consider a DAP (think they've just altered the name to ADAPTIL) from the vet.

Walk your dog before it's dark, ensure she has a name tag and try to let her toilet before they start...

good luck.

Wys
x

Ps if you do take her to the vet, ensure they don't give ACP, which can be horrible for the dog - they appear quiet but are still terrified, but cannot express it.
Thanks ever so much for that. I'm just off to look for the scullcap and valerian. I'll try Mindy on it. Molly is fine.

I was a bit dubious of taking her to the vet, as my childhood dog was given ACP by an old vet, and I wasn't a fan then.

Does the scullcap and valerian calm them down a little? I don't like to hear her barking so incessantly.

They are ready now for their last walk for tonight. I'm afraid it's the garden after dark, folks.

Thanks for that Wys. x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post

Does the scullcap and valerian calm them down a little? I don't like to hear her barking so incessantly.

They are ready now for their last walk for tonight. I'm afraid it's the garden after dark, folks.

Thanks for that Wys. x

http://www.dorwest.com/Catalogue/Vet...lerian-tablets

This will give more info - they do help to calm the dog, but without causing any unwanted affects, at least this is what should happen.

They may not help all dogs of course, as with anything - but I'd say "worth a try"

Wys
x
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Loui just isnt that bothered really

I remember when he was little his breeder seen him after I had had him a few months and commented on him being "bomb proof"

he's just not bothered Still, thats a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It must be quite hard for dogs/owners when their dogs are petrified. I've seen me sit on the other side of a fence to a field and that thing to scare the birds goes off, he isnt bothered by that either.

Hope this year isnt too bad for peeps with dogs who get scared, you do feel for them!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Alfie has never been bothered with them.
Ocassionally at a loud one he will "bark back", but that's it.

Not gunshots like SB said, but Alfie is used to random loud bangs, so maybe that helps.

(I know they aren't the same but about a week ago I was popping a load of balloons, at the start he stood well back and watched, but I started going "Yaaaay" after each bang and he soon came over to join in lol)

I remember about maybe 10 years ago sitting under her dining room table with her dog for about 4 hours as he was scared of fireworks though, so know how bad it can be for dogs who don't like it
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Walking in the park in the dark (I know but it's always dark now when I get back from work) and suddenly fireworks started going off in the park! I didn't even know that people were in there with us My friend has just sent me a text photo of her husky squashed in the gap behind the sofa and the wall
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Mindy doesn't hide.........

She just barks, shakes, yelps, barks,shakes, yelps, barks, shakes, yelps.... Sometimes I think it would be easier if she hid under the bed.....

The barking is incessant.

I feel so sorry for her, poor girly.

Couldn't get the scullcap and valerian from our local petshop today. Luckily I am off work tomorrow, so will take a trip to PAH and see if they stock it. Otherwise, I can order it off the net and hopefully will receive it on Mon/Tues. I will give anything a go to help the poor old soul who is wandering about barking because of the idiots outside.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:05 PM
If you cannot find S & V at PAH you may find Petspec calmer or Serenum,

Nupafeed do Stressless a magnesium supplement and Hilton Herbs also do S & V and Tranquillity Mix etc.

Tehre are also homeopathic mixtures you can get OTC at the vet.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I've not heard any yet, but I'm sure they will start this weekend. I'm lucky because Dex and Bo could care less and they watched the ones we did in the garden last year. Tilly is a bit sheepish when she hears them but nothing major.

I do feel sorry for the animals that are terrified of them though.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post

Couldn't get the scullcap and valerian from our local petshop today. Luckily I am off work tomorrow, so will take a trip to PAH and see if they stock it. Otherwise, I can order it off the net and hopefully will receive it on Mon/Tues. I will give anything a go to help the poor old soul who is wandering about barking because of the idiots outside.
As far as I know PAH don't sell skullcap or valerian.. They sell serenum..may be worth ringing them but I wouldve thought you will need to get it off the net.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, Mindy is a nightmare tonight.

I am at the moment lay on the floor with her just trying to calm her down. (why can't these people round here just stick to bonfire night)??????

I will have to sort something out tomorrow. She is getting worse.

Molly couldn't give a sh** and wondering what the hell her mum is doing lay on the floor with a blankie and Mindy underneath it

I am sure that once midnight has passed, it will all settle down.

Aaaarrrgghhhh!!! I hate the hours between 8 and midnight

Thanks for all your help x
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >