Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Things can be compared even if they're not identical. Getting a dog used to being touched by using a dummy hand, for example - different to a real hand but comparable. Getting a dog used to a baby/hoover/fireworks with sounds on a CD, it'll sound different, there's no smell involved with the CD, but still comparable.
Yes I agree, to say that a firework or a car back firing sounds NOTHING like a gun would be, IMHO, untrue; to say they can often be comparable would, IMHO, be true.

When I pass the clay shoot, those guns make a different sound to the starting pistols used in WT and Schutzhund.

Are they comparable? IMHO yes.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes I agree, to say that a firework or a car back firing sounds NOTHING like a gun would be, IMHO, untrue; to say they can often be comparable would, IMHO, be true.

When I pass the clay shoot, those guns make a different sound to the starting pistols used in WT and Schutzhund.

Are they comparable? IMHO yes.
Ah but is that because of where you are?
So... Gunfire happens at training and in a given area, even a general on a walk. Fireworks happen intermittently, anywhere but especially in a dog's comfort zone ie. the house.

So... playing a sound cd at home can be helpful as it can be done unexpectedly and built up noise wise. Tge dog becomes aclimatised and it isn't such a shock/ has positive associations in the place it needs to be.
Same with a plastic hand, it is being held by somone with a real hand so the necessary association is there and context.

Not explaining myself well, tired.. but gunshot in a given scenario be that field or training is totally different to
intermittent noise from fireworks in the home. It's about context and expectation and about how regular the noise is.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 10:10 AM
So ( trying to explain myself better.. Apologies for typos as am on my phone.)
Tango is not frightened by loud noises out in a field at all. She almost expects it.
She hates thunder and fireworks. I think partly because she was kennelled and was unable to escape and partly because of the smell etc. I think in the home she
feels safe and the noise is out of context and often happens late at night so shocks her. She is not frightened of loud noises so it can't be compared to gunshot. It is contextual. Her home is safe and it is intermittent loud noise late at night.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 10:30 AM
phoebe hates fireworks and its a very stressfull time for us both. Now were in a town centre i expecting it to be worse aswell. we do have a big display less than a mile away on saturday - biggest in the north west apparently - oh yippee. Ive booked he in to the kennels for the night as its in the middle of nowhere so shouldnt be so bad. But cant do that all the time were going to have to grin a bear it the rest of the winter. i really feel for the dogs who hate fireworks must be so scary for them
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Not that bothered. They were going off in the distance on our walk. I may have got a "Oy did you hear that" and they were going off the back of our garden all night (back onto an Indian hotel)

Last year he treated close ones as intruders given the chance. Last night though he just snored off on my feet while I finished a book.
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I used to think my dog was frightened of fireworks. We have a lot here in July and August. I then discovered it was not the noise which frightened him but the sight of the flares and rockets. It might, perhaps, help some dogs if they are kept indoors with the curtains closed?

Good luck to those who have dogs who are frightened of the noise. At least here they are all controlled events and only last about 20 minutes.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 10:52 AM
M&M will happily watch the shiney, bright fireworks outside, and not be freaked out by them.

However, since there are more and more fireworks which are loud bangs, there are less lights for them to watch.

They treat loud-bang-fireworks like every other loud, unexpected noise - a deep woof and growl (to alert me?) and then a bit of looking round for the noise source...

They aren't bothered by thunder/lightning; just bangy fireworks.

We have DAP diffuser in from mid Oct to mid Nov....
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 11:05 AM
So... Gunfire happens at training and in a given area, even a general on a walk. Fireworks happen intermittently, anywhere but especially in a dog's comfort zone ie. the house.
So does gunfire if you live anywhere near a shooting range. And fireworks have nothing on a tank firing My house keeps shaking.

Fireworks and gunfire may not be exactly the same but if you get a dog used to bangs going off randomly and in various places and situations it stands to reason that they're less likely to have a problem with other similar noises. I would imagine most working gundogs are used to the sound of guns firing while in a certain environment but would they react the same way to it in a different environment?
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 02:04 PM
It's an absolute bloody nightmare in our house at the moment

Can anyone help please ??

Molly is fine, 10 years old and not bothered. Had her since a pup.

Mindy...... 1st time for bonfire night. Rescued at 10 months in July. Don't know how she has been treated in the past.

There are that many fireworks going off round here, that it is constant barking in our house. She is TERRIFIED I just don't know what to do with her. The neighbours must be well fed up with it.

I just cannot settle her at all. I dread dinner time when it goes dark. It all kicks off!!

I don't think I can put up with this until the New Year. I think a visit to the vets is in order. I feel so sorry for her.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
It's an absolute bloody nightmare in our house at the moment

Can anyone help please ??

Molly is fine, 10 years old and not bothered. Had her since a pup.

Mindy...... 1st time for bonfire night. Rescued at 10 months in July. Don't know how she has been treated in the past.

There are that many fireworks going off round here, that it is constant barking in our house. She is TERRIFIED I just don't know what to do with her. The neighbours must be well fed up with it.

I just cannot settle her at all. I dread dinner time when it goes dark. It all kicks off!!

I don't think I can put up with this until the New Year. I think a visit to the vets is in order. I feel so sorry for her.
Sorry to hear your dogs are suffering...

Take a look at the very good link I gave in an earlier post, it gives ideas on what you can do both now and in the future. Here it is in fact:

http://www.dogsandfireworks.com/down..._fireworks.pdf

I'd also definitely try scullcap and valerian tablets (Dorwest herbs/some vets and pet shops sell them too) and dose carefully based on body weight... I find them a total godsend, and I was sceptical at first

If you use them, start about a week before bonfire night (or at least, start now if you are already having problems).

Consider a DAP (think they've just altered the name to ADAPTIL) from the vet.

Walk your dog before it's dark, ensure she has a name tag and try to let her toilet before they start...and create a secure den, details of how to do that to avoid vibrations etc are in the link/article

good luck.

Wys
x

Ps if you do take her to the vet, ensure they don't give ACP, which can be horrible for the dog - they appear quiet but are still terrified, but cannot express it.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »