Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Fortunately none of my dogs have ever had issues with fireworks, I am not sure why, whether it has anything to do with introducing the gun to them early on by walking past the clay shoot etc.

But none have ever been bothered. Thank goodness.
Guns and fireworks are entirely different, different noise, smell and light. They are also less predictable in that they go off at any time and anywhere.
Tango was trained to the gun, she was a working gundog. She is petrified of fireworks, totally petrified.Totally Cosmo on the other hand, watches them happily. Pet dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I've been reliably informed as well, that there are a lot of working gundogs out there who are petrified of fireworks. In fairness I used to think gunshot/ fireworks were the same but when you sit down and think about it, with a view to helping your dog, they are not.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I've been reliably informed as well, that there are a lot of working gundogs out there who are petrified of fireworks. In fairness I used to think gunshot/ fireworks were the same but when you sit down and think about it, with a view to helping your dog, they are not.
Don't think SB was saying they're the same at all, just that she wonders if it's related to the dogs being used to sudden bangs
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:10 AM
We drove past temple last night on the way home from training, not a peep - the rain and hail on the way to training freaked him out more!

They were annoying me more than Louie last night though..
Louie - wasn't bothered last year, hasn't shown must notice this year - yet.. Benjie just barks at them, but he barks at any noise and poor Sadie, she cowers, hides under tables, tries to get on your knee. This year my Mum and Dad have her when their local firework display is on - Sadie's owner takes the family up and for years I've missed it to look after her (plenty more fireworks to see over the years anyway) Last year, she was fine-ish, Dad let her up on the sofa and she sat there shivering but not cowering whilst Louie watched the hamster run in the wheel.. Small things.. small minds.. Hopefully people will see the DAP/F advert on TV and get one for their pets.. At least that'll give the dogs and cats a little comfort..
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Don't think SB was saying they're the same at all, just that she wonders if it's related to the dogs being used to sudden bangs
Indeed. My point was that the two can't be compared and so it probably wasn't that.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Indeed. My point was that the two can't be compared and so it probably wasn't that.
Things can be compared even if they're not identical. Getting a dog used to being touched by using a dummy hand, for example - different to a real hand but comparable. Getting a dog used to a baby/hoover/fireworks with sounds on a CD, it'll sound different, there's no smell involved with the CD, but still comparable.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
We drove past temple last night on the way home from training, not a peep - the rain and hail on the way to training freaked him out more!

They were annoying me more than Louie last night though..
Louie - wasn't bothered last year, hasn't shown must notice this year - yet.. Benjie just barks at them, but he barks at any noise and poor Sadie, she cowers, hides under tables, tries to get on your knee. This year my Mum and Dad have her when their local firework display is on - Sadie's owner takes the family up and for years I've missed it to look after her (plenty more fireworks to see over the years anyway) Last year, she was fine-ish, Dad let her up on the sofa and she sat there shivering but not cowering whilst Louie watched the hamster run in the wheel.. Small things.. small minds.. Hopefully people will see the DAP/F advert on TV and get one for their pets.. At least that'll give the dogs and cats a little comfort..
That made me laugh

Roxie hates them and this is the first year we have been in our flat - which is directly across from the river where they hold the town bonfire However as you can watch the fireworks from our living room , im hoping to get a few of our friends (and roxie favorite people!) round and get her a bone so she should be ok. I havent been to a proper one for ages cause I dont like leaving her when I know she gets so upset
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Luckily mine are not bothered, only ripley reactions if they are very close by or she is out in the garden when they go off, and then she will usually settle back down. Mav likes to go and sit in the garden looking up at the sky watching them!!

Sadie barks if there is a loud one...convinced someone is trying to break into the house!
But odly, if i am out walking them then none of them even bat an eyelid.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Luckily mine are not bothered, only ripley reactions if they are very close by or she is out in the garden when they go off, and then she will usually settle back down. Mav likes to go and sit in the garden looking up at the sky watching them!!

Sadie barks if there is a loud one...convinced someone is trying to break into the house!
But odly, if i am out walking them then none of them even bat an eyelid.
Hopefully fireworks wont trigger rips labour!! (off topic but how is she doing? )
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post

Yes I was, thank you.

The same applies to thunder.

Not all dogs treat thunder, fireworks, guns, crowscarers, cars backfiring the same.

Fortunately for me(and my dogs) mine all do, so I was just thinking out loud as to why that might be, luck, genetics, training, bit of all of them?

Who knows.

My next dog will probably be a nervous wreck with all of them!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »