View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2006, 02:49 PM

Can you use the same kind of clippers for dogs and humans?

can you use the same kind of clippers for dogs as you cn for human hair
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Stewart B

Oh don't mention clippers to me Stewart please

I think you can because I know my nephew used to borrow the dog clippers for his hair

I think my Dog clippers were only about £20 though and had quite a few combs with them and oil and things.

Do you want me to come and clip your dog - I am very good at it - they will look unique afterwards
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Stewart B
IMO I doubt it stu
(not sure why myself as it is a subject I'm still learning myself), but the dog clippers have completely the opposite settings from the human hair clippers. Plus Human hair is finer than a dogs fur. Someone else will no doubt be able to answer this more clearly soon or tell us otherwise
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Do you want me to come and clip your dog - I am very good at it - they will look unique afterwards
Do you really want me to answer that foxy

Thank you both for your answers
I was curious becouse i brought a remmington clipper set from a car boot sale today for a fiver (first car boot i've ever been to)
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Human clippers won't last any where near as long as doggie clippers if used on dogs. I have a set of Andis dog clippers, I think they were around £150 but they are now 4 years old and still going well, I send the metal blades away to be sharpened every so often, yes they cost a lot, but compared to how many pairs of human clippers I would have used in the 4 years, I've probably saved a fortune.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Stewart I have Remington HV703 clippers from Argos and have used them on Amy for a few years now, she is too old to stand a long time being hand stripped., I wouldn't normally clip a Schnauzer so didn't want to pay a lot for proper dog clippers, and I prefer hauptner hand shears anyway.

If the ones you bought are in good condition and have the different sized combs they will be fine to use on a pet dog . It is not as if you are going out to choose a pair, you already have them .
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 12:25 PM
We have a some small clippers for human hair that we used to clip the hair on Ben's (CKCS) belly cos he used to pee on it. They worked fine and are still in good condition
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
My Mum bought a set of dog clippers from Argos a good few years ago, and my other half also had a 'human' hair clipper set from there and I have to say they are exactly the same. Obviously these are only run of the mill dog clippers, not professional ones as we only used them on our Jack Russells to tidy them up. To be honest with these how long they last depends on what you're using them on. My son had thick hair, very thick hair and they struggle to cut his but manage the jack russells fine!

My Son always goes to the barbers now after my efforts
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I've used the same clippers on humans and dogs, I clip my brothers bedlington x whippet lurcher with a set of Wahl clippers designed for humans, they do a great job.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I used to have wahl clippers (for dogs) & we used them to cut a colleagues long hair for charity. They were great & after that everyone wanted to borrow them. I've had the 'human' ones but they weren't anywhere near as good however were a lot cheaper so I suppose you get what you pay for.