Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 09:08 PM

Firework phobia

At our training club tonight we had a talk about firework phobia from a veterinary nurse from one of the local veterinary practices.

She gave us some ideas on how to deal with this problem and I thought I would pass them on for anyone who has a dog with this problem - I am going to try some with our young GR.

A DAP diffuser, available from vets and pet stores, can help to make your dog feel more relaxed and confident but needs to be plugged in at least 2 weeks before the event so not much time left before November 5th.

Minimise the amount of light coming into the room by shutting the curtains and putting on the lights.

Moderately loud music with a good bass beat can be played to cover the bangs of the fireworks - quieter "light" music will not mask the noise of the fireworks.

If your dog tries to hide make sure it can have access to a place it feels comfortable in - a cage that has been covered over, under a bed, the bathroom etc but ensure that the doors to the room can't close on him and cause more panic if he is unable to get out when he wants to.

If you are expecting fireworks that evening give your dog a large stodgy meal late in the afternoon that is full of carbohydrates as this can help to make them feel calm and sleepy. Mashed potato, rice or pasta are ideal.

When the fireworks start take your dog to his hiding place and let him stay there. Don't make a fuss of him as this will reinforce the idea that there is sokmething to be wary of. Ignore your dog until he is calm again and then praise the calm behaviour.

Dog earplugs can be bought from pet stores or you can make some using wrung out dampened cotton wool. Make sure you don't push them too far into the ear or make them so fat that they hurt being put in, nor so thin they fall out or,even worse , fall down inside the ears. Remember to remove them once the fireworks have stopped.

I haven't tried any of these methods myself yet but thought I would pass on the information we were given tonight in the hope that you may find it useful.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 09:11 PM
very useful - there were loads of fireworks going off tonight where we are and Bruno has just spent the evening shaking like a leaf that was with the telly up loud, curtains closed and curled up on the sofa.

cant be bothered with another month of this.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Me I'm going out of my way to walk Blondi all the more during Firework season. This is my first firework season with her, so didn't really know what to expect.

The first couple of nights, each time there was bang while walking, I gave her a treat. Tonight, she gave no reaction whatsoever. Me however, I jumped out of my skin!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the tips - I already enforce most of these. When the fireworks are in full flow here Roxy hides, but Len sits at the back door watching them
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 07:02 AM
thanks for the tips, always helpful...our 2 boys hate them...the biffters barks and Mo paces.
The pups have been fine, but this one does seem more aware.
I have to say I avoid going out with them in the evenings when there are fireworks going off, incase they bolt or incase they become more fearful. I know of a few dogs that have had terrible frights when out and about in firework season to the extent that they can now only go out in the evening when there is no traffic eiht squaling brakes etc.
I think it doesn't matter how well conditioned your dogs are to the noises...the dogs I am aware of couldn't have been better conditioned in all honesty...it just takes one incident (that is totally our of your control) and your dog is fearful for life.
I hate fireworks...and appreciate any tips that will help calm my 2, when it gets really bad, they have to be sedated...thansk for posting these ones.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Diesel hasn't experienced fireworks yet so i don't know how he is going to react thanks for the tips though i will keep them handy
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Great tips Were a few going off last night when I walked Jake to the shops, he didn't seem to bothered so fingers crossed it stays that way... Good luck all
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2006, 09:35 AM
My two were young pups last year so took no real notice but this year I can see we are going to have real problems.
Some went off for a couple of mins a couple of nights ago and my Rottie XGSD tried to Launch herself through the pulled curtains and through the glass patio doors in panic.
I would feel happier if she would go and lay and shake somewhere but she completely freaked.
Not keen on sedating as only ever had one dog before who used to get worried and she ended up falling down stairs and off the chairs in her sedated panic to get away.
Dreading the next month I must admit.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Must admit we tend to go outside and watch them, the only ones they don't like are the huge bangs like canon fire when we can't actually see anything, that calls for a good bark from Syd in response other than that they seem to quite like them
sandymay
New Member!
Female 

24-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Bach's rescue remedy also works well for some dogs. I give my dog it starting about two weeks before and it really calms him down.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >