Our sister sites
tonz
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Neutering...!

well hello all,

i have a 6 months old GSD named Jack.

Jack is a very well-behaved dog, listens to every word i say...! He is not neutered yet...! so my question is... is it really necessary to get him neutered...?

let me add some more...! there is really no chance for Jack to mate with other female dogs...! bcoz there is no female dog around my place...! lol ... so.. will he be ok if i dont have him got neutered?

Tonz
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

23-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Personally I have two un-nuetered males and I have no problems. I would not have a male neutered unless there were health problems.

As long as you a are a responsible owner and make sure he does not get out on his own I see no reason why he should not be left intact.

The chances of testicular cancer are low and I would rather let my dog keep his bits than put him through an anaesthetic, unless as I say there were health reasons to have him done

It is a very personal choice and I am sure you will get lotsof different advice but at the end of the day it is your decision and it is up to you to weigh up the pros and cons.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I've always kept entire males. You just need to be more responsible in ensuring that nothing can happen.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Personally i would always have both bitches and dogs neutured as i would never want to breed and i feel it is better safe than sorry.

He may or may not change as he matures and his hormone levels rise.
scruffydog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2008, 12:37 PM
it is completely your choice.
my Jasper is 13 1/2 now and was un neutered but got testicular cancer a month ago and had to have them removed, he got very ill and before it was diagnosed we thought we were going to loss him
but since the op he is back to his old self again.
it is a risk that you take but it is very rare.
tonz
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2008, 12:45 PM
hmm.. thank u everyone...! i m very concerned about Jack... and it is assured that nothing can happen... coz i never let him out all alone...! i m always with him... and while i m out of home... he is in his house locked... he got quite big room for himself...! he is a happy dog...! i was like confused coz i heard someone to say neutering is must all that...! anyways... thank u...!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I have 2 neutered dogs and I personally would always neuter not just for little accidents but because Otis used to wander off looking for bitches. We live near a busy road so it was for his own safety and for his own health. My vet told me there are health benefits to being neutered. Apart from cancer I'm not sure what they are but your vet will tell you.
Whatever you decide it's your decision but be very careful with him as I'm sure you are doing already. Good luck.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I would never neuter except in medical need and really believe that a dog is best left as nature intended providing it is owned by a carefully and caring owner.

I have 2 intact dogs, 1 neutered at 8 years, benign tumour, and a neutered bitch, whelping infection.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Because I have a multi-dog household I find it easier to have neutered dogs. Because mine are rescues they have been neutered at various stages in their life and they are all fine.
Why not take your time making up your mind? Your dog is very young still.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I also find this question is really down to personal choice. All mine are neutered (male and female) but here it would be easy for them to get ''upto mischief'' as we are a large built up area and lots of dogs in season stray.........
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »