View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2006, 06:47 PM

Chance for you to talk about your dogs :D (please help!)

Right, i need you guys for something its' not a big thing, but it will help me out alot! So if anyone and everyone could please spare me a moment of their time. I will tell you why..

For my animal care course at college, i need to, for breeds and grooming, talk about different breeds of dogs and their grooming needs. I am going to look for information on websites and things, but i thought the best way to find out information about dogs is to ask dog owners, like yourselves
so, if you could please;

1. tell me what breed(s) you own (and of course you can tell me name, age and all sorts, i love to hear about dogs )

2. tell me what type of coat the breed has, and what type of coat your dog has- i.e. german shepherd- longhair-coarse mostly.

3. how long you spend on grooming your dog daily/weekly/monthly (this includes how often you bath them)

4. tell me what you use for grooming your dog(s)- ie a shampoo for the specific breed/coat type, or a brush for longhair/shorthair/wire haired breeds.

5. Last but definately not least- pictures!!! i need pictures of dogs- these MUST be ones which you consent to me printing and including in my work (but i will make sure that you and your dog are noted on my reference page ). the pictures can be of dogs wed, dry, being brushed, groomed, bathed, washed, hosed, ANYTHING to do with grooming. and of course a few cute pictures thrown in for me to include, that aren't to do with grooming

THANKYOU ALL!!!!!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-01-2006, 07:21 PM
1. 15 month old Lab, Jake.
2. Double coated. Some coarse, some soft, lubbly silky ears.
3. Run a brush and/or rubber thingy over him once a fortnight or so... Swim in the stream and rub with a towel pretty much daily. Very occasional vacuum... Clipped nails when needed. Usually front. Back ones wear down nicely!
4. Think we've still got some puppy shampoo, also aloe vera herbal dog shampoo, I think. VERY rarely used. Brushes as above.
5. Help yourself to anything on my site, link in profile.

hope that helps!
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Thats lovely- thankyou
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Ok here you go

1. Wire Fox Terrier... almost a year old

2. Harsh wiry outer coat and soft fluffy undercoat

3. Detangle legs and beard every other day with a pinpad and comb, full brushing and detangling once a week, claw clip every 2-3 weeks (they grow fast!) and then he will either get roughly 2 hours raking and handstripping every week in summer, or in winter about 4 hours a month. Yest his coat grows FAST! He gets bathed every 2-3 weeks depending on when he finds fox poo to roll in but also gets to swim quite a lot in ponds and the pool

4. Stripping knives, combs, pinpads, zoom groom.

----------

1. Jack Russell Terrier... about 23-24 weeks.

2. short, soft but thick coat. moults a bit.

3. Zoom groom once a week. claw clip every 2-3 weeks. Bath again depends on how often he rolls in nasty stuff

4. Zoom groom, sometimes comb.

Sorry i don't have any photos of Ziggy being groomed yet....

Edited to add....

ok this is a bit embarrassing but here is a picture of all the grooming stuff... bear in mind this dog does not get shown most of it is for the WFT

rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2006, 07:41 PM
1/ Bob he's a 18mts old whippet
2/ Smooth short coated
3/ I use a grooming mit about once a mth
4/ Bob Martin dog shampoo. he has a bath when he starts to pong a bit
5/ the photos on the way
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Dalmatians, very short harsh coat that sheds constantly. Grooming is mainly following them around the house with a Dyson To remove dead hairs, I use a rubber block with knobbles on that I have had for 10 years now. If they get muddy, an hour in their beds and it drops off. Occasionally I shampoo them, a couple of days before a big show (eg Crufts) or if they roll in fox poo I always use Johnson's baby shampoo which brings them up gleaming and doesn't irritate their coats.
A couple of tips for extra shine - a "dew bath" - on a summer morning, early, get dew all over your palms then rub it into the coat, in the direction of the hair. Another one is a teaspoon of Lysterine in very hot water, soak a towel in it, squeeze out until almost dry, then drag over the coat with the direction of the hair.
Nails - I use a Dremel for a smooth show-perfect finish. Tidies up the flaky/damaged bits too.
Pics? I'm working on it!

Almost forgot - Polly (9), Polo (6), Deccy (1)
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by rob
1/ Bob he's a 18mts old whippet
2/ Smooth short coated
3/ I use a grooming mit about once a mth
4/ Bob Martin dog shampoo. he has a bath when he starts to pong a bit
5/ the photos on the way

Forgot about his nails- as we are usely walk on a hard serface they wear themselfs down.
Hope this helps
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 07:50 PM
ben rough colliex
3 years old
double coated which shed constntly
combed every other day, as he gets knotted ears.
bathed when he stinky,too big to put in a household bath.so i use an antibactieral spray on him (special for smelly dogs)
but use bob martins shampoo, have to bath him in the garden.
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2006, 07:54 PM
wow thanks everyone! lots of great information and great pictures!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi Shibby69. I've finally stopped laughing at the massive difference between Tuti's grooming and Bob's grooming. Talk about one extreme to the other. No offense intended - both systems look fine to me.

Anyway:
1. Japanese Shiba Inu
2. Gets brushed when they're moulting. Use metal comb.
3. Double coated - soft underhair topped with coarse guardhairs usually of a different colour
4. Bath - don't have one, strap dog to roof rack and go through £5 car wash. The wax brings him up lovely (seriously though, the wax keeps him waterproof, like his own personal Barbour wax jacket), no really seriously, only bathed once a year whilst at kennels.
5. Claws - are you kidding? Have you heard the Shiba Scream????

Here's a couple of pics - Lennon who has just lost all his coat, and Roxy (the lardy black and tan one) who looks really fluffy.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >