Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Some breeds are aloof, many are as if not more affectionate than any dog.

I like a nice house too, I have 6 cats, why is this hard to believe? Cats dont scratch furniture if they have access to scratching posts, and they dont spray if they are neutered. Same with dogs Helena, they eat furniture, they rip things up, they cock their leg up, not all but basically for the same reasons a cat would.

I like Birds too, in fact this morning we had over 16 Birds on the feeders, mostly goldfinches, with the 6 cats too, perhaps if I didnt have them Id of had over 30 birds??

I think your views of what Cats are like and responsible for are a bit outdated. The biggest killer of songbirds in the UK is by other Birds, by way of Trichomoniasis, Salmonella and Bird predation by other Birds, Cats dont figure anywhere near them, and even then its guessing, unlike the devastating diseases killing them where acurate measurements can be taken.
It's only through my experiences of them Dawn. My sil had cats, her house stunk of cats when we went round there, my house doesn't stink of dogs, well not that I can smell anyway! Another friend has 6 cats, they walk all over her kitchen worktops, then they sit down on the worktop, then she makes me a sandwich which I won't eat!!!! Another friend has a cat, it's always coming in with a bird or a mouse and she says she just can't stop it killing the little birdies, which I love! Another friend has cats, her sofa is ripped to shreds even though she has scratch posts! Need I say more??? I love little kitties to stroke and look at, but I just don't want them in my house that's all!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Ive owned bred and shown Burmese and Colour points was lucky enough to make up one of my burmese to a champion, but now i only have 3 old mogs that we love dearly,they still hunt, well they try to

Jeanette
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
i love cats dearly. My moggie, Smokey, is a great big fella. He bullies the dogs, he rips my furniture, he can be ferocious or he can be loving, he catches mice, brings them into the house and then lets them go, and walks away. He does sometimes catch birds, but if he does, quite often he just brings them in, lets them go and goes back outside to have a wash, while I'm running around like a loony trying to catch the bird. He goes fishing in the summer, goes into peoples gardens and walks into any ponds (right up to his chest!) and scoops out goldfish, which he also brings home, and, yes, you've guessed, leaves them wriggling around on the kitchen floor. I'm quite adept at saving goldfish lives now, and if neighbours miss any fish from ponds, the knock on my door to see if Smokey has brought any in! He bought a koi carp in once, and a neighbour said she had seen a heron with it - must have caught it out of a pond - and Smokey had jumped at the heron, scared it off, and claimed his prize! Poor thing was dead, but that was the heron, not Smokey.

There's only a few years over my life that I have been without a cat. One of mine was 21 when she died.

Life without a cat, for me, is just a little bit off kilter.

Love them!!!!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I love cats, I have 5!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's only through my experiences of them Dawn. My sil had cats, her house stunk of cats when we went round there, my house doesn't stink of dogs, well not that I can smell anyway! Another friend has 6 cats, they walk all over her kitchen worktops, then they sit down on the worktop, then she makes me a sandwich which I won't eat!!!! Another friend has a cat, it's always coming in with a bird or a mouse and she says she just can't stop it killing the little birdies, which I love! Another friend has cats, her sofa is ripped to shreds even though she has scratch posts! Need I say more??? I love little kitties to stroke and look at, but I just don't want them in my house that's all!
Absolutely typical of Cats ruling the roost Helena. EXACTLY like we see dogs doing on here on such a regular basis. You will never find a Cat on any of my work surfaces, nor scratched furniture and you can watch the Birds to your hearts content! its all down to owners. They say you cant teach a cat, WORNG!! If you clap or hiss at a cat that jumps on a work surface, it will shoot off, just like a dog doing something you dont like, you stop the problem quickly and it no longer exists! Same for everything else. my cats are confined to my garden by way of inverted fencing, cost about £60 all told, if people want to keep their Cats from hunting, keeep them on their property. Its not the Cats, just like we say its not the dogs fault when he got out and ate that child!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Love em! Although don't have a cat at the moment as I rent I would have loads if I had my own place! Not sure I could cope with the hair now though since I got poodles, may have to have a Sphynx!
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Absolutely typical of Cats ruling the roost Helena. EXACTLY like we see dogs doing on here on such a regular basis. You will never find a Cat on any of my work surfaces, nor scratched furniture and you can watch the Birds to your hearts content! its all down to owners. They say you cant teach a cat, WORNG!! If you clap or hiss at a cat that jumps on a work surface, it will shoot off, just like a dog doing something you dont like, you stop the problem quickly and it no longer exists! Same for everything else. my cats are confined to my garden by way of inverted fencing, cost about £60 all told, if people want to keep their Cats from hunting, keeep them on their property. Its not the Cats, just like we say its not the dogs fault when he got out and ate that child!
You're convincing me yet again Dawn, you always do that to me when we talk about cats!!! Maybe one day then I've gotta have something furry around my feet when dear old Georgie has gone, and slippers just won't be enough I'm afraid!!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I love cats

Cat's are more independant than dogs, females more so. It's true what they say, dogs come when called, cat's take a message and get back to you :smt043

Some cats are quite dog-like and like to be with you all the time - so I guess it depends on what kind of cat you get..
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
hmmm have to admit Im not a cat fan! never had one and there not for me, but hold no grudges against them!! xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I love cats

Cat's are more independant than dogs, females more so. It's true what they say, dogs come when called, cat's take a message and get back to you :smt043

Some cats are quite dog-like and like to be with you all the time - so I guess it depends on what kind of cat you get..
Lol! that's spot on Azz!
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »