Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Shona, your siggy line says 'if you cant rescue, dont breed'
So you have standards, that might be offensive to someone who has different standards

I have never said 'dont breed' to you or anyone. I have said what my standards are

The fact you do rescue shows that you are aware of the problem
There are not enough homes for all the dogs their are out there
Unless a breeder can say hands on heart that everyone who got a pup from them would not have got a dog from someone else then the pup produced takes up a space in a home that another dog would have taken

Yes I suppose you could say their are not that many rotties in rescue - but some people would have got a different dog if there wasnt enough rotties
I know nothing about you or anyone elses breeding ethics except what you all post on here so I do not condem anyone
I am just putting forward my beliefs
If you know of the problem, have thought tru all the options and are happy with your ethics then how can my beliefs make you sad??
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
happy with your ethics then how can my beliefs make you sad??
Its not a nice when someone says that Im responsible for the death of dogs in rescue!

I thought sad was a better word to use than upset/angry or whatever.

ETA: if all the people who are responsible for dogs ending up in rescue, stopped what they were doing, rescue was no longer needed { I know a bit of a pipe dream, } but if that was the case, then only caring, responsible breeders were left, what would you do in future when ben and Mia are no longer here? would you go to a breeder?

I am not adding to the rescue system, my pups are in great homes, its the diddys that breed any rott to anything that looks vaguely like a rott that fall short in my book, those are the ones causing most upset for me.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Unless a breeder can say hands on heart that everyone who got a pup from them would not have got a dog from someone else then the pup produced takes up a space in a home that another dog would have taken
when you say someone else do you mean another breeder? or do you mean rescue?

Yes I suppose you could say their are not that many rotties in rescue -
there are a few, but they are not bred by me.

but some people would have got a different dog if there wasnt enough rotties
they would have no choice would they? Im sure they would find another mastiff type breeder or similar to fill there needs.

I know nothing about you or anyone elses breeding ethics except what you all post on here so I do not condem anyone
but your making statements which imply Im killing dogs in rescue! when in fact I have saved more rescue dogs that you, I have saved more in numbers over the years than I have ever produced pups.
I am just putting forward my beliefs
fair enough, but I do think your a bit one sided on this.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Its not a nice when someone says that Im responsible for the death of dogs in rescue!

I thought sad was a better word to use than upset/angry or whatever.

ETA: if all the people who are responsible for dogs ending up in rescue, stopped what they were doing, rescue was no longer needed { I know a bit of a pipe dream, } but if that was the case, then only caring, responsible breeders were left, what would you do in future when ben and Mia are no longer here? would you go to a breeder?

I am not adding to the rescue system, my pups are in great homes, its the diddys that breed any rott to anything that looks vaguely like a rott that fall short in my book, those are the ones causing most upset for me.
If there were no dogs in rescue I would be more than happy to go to a breeder, and I wouldnt have such high standards for a breeder - because at the moment I feel as their isnt enough space then their should be a blooming good reason for bringing another pup into the world

Why do you feel breeders should rescue?? If you are sure you are not in any way responsible for the dogs in rescue then why demand that breeders rescue??

I think its funny that I have been talking in general terms yet people take mamoth offence - wheras I have had my dogs personally attacked (called badly bred mutts who are too pretty and killing the ugly black dogs) and thats OK
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:40 PM
If there were no dogs in rescue I would be more than happy to go to a breeder, and I wouldnt have such high standards for a breeder - because at the moment I feel as their isnt enough space then their should be a blooming good reason for bringing another pup into the world

Why do you feel breeders should rescue?? If you are sure you are not in any way responsible for the dogs in rescue then why demand that breeders rescue??

I think its funny that I have been talking in general terms yet people take mamoth offence - wheras I have had my dogs personally attacked (called badly bred mutts who are too pretty and killing the ugly black dogs) and thats OK

For many many diffrent reasons, I have always been pro-rescue, even before I started breeding, in fact only one of my dogs was bought from a breeder prior to getting into rotties,
the rest were all lost causes from rescue with serious aggression problems {bless them}
After getting into rotties I felt it important to rescue for lots of reasons,
1} If people really love a breed, they will do anything in there power to help that breed, even if they didnt breed it.
2} Rotties are better coming to people who know and understand the breed
3} some rescue centres are very wary of placing rotties and some will PTS rotties rather than re-home, { A huge problem a few years back when there rep was at an all time low
4} we have more contacts of people intrested in the breed, so can place them quicker in suitable homes,
5} are better able to assess them than people who dont have as much hands on with the breed than us.
and the most important one is. I LOVE THEM.
I could go on and on with reasons, just as im sure you could.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Wow I can't believe this thread has come so far and is so off topic!! I thought it was about 'designer' dogs with ancy fancy names??
Where does rescue v breeders come into that? Unless it is because alot of these 'designer' breeders are usually byb or p/f...?
I am selfish I suppose, I have 3 dogs I bought from breeders and I don't show or do agility with or work, I didn't rescue... why? Because I have indoor guinea pigs and indoor rabbits and they had to come first, so I wanted a puppy to grow up with them. I got Jamie, he came from a breeder who asked alot of questions and came to my house and who I signed a contract with, so if I need to rehome Jamie, he goes back to him. Same with Deacon as it was the same breeder. I did ask about a ex racing grey, but because of the piggies and buns that was a no no. Most rescue won't rehome to me as I will not neuter my boys unless for health reasons. I got Codee, she was from a small breeder, again selfish to some, I wanted a puppy and I got her... But I asked English setter rescue before I got her and a greyhound place and a rescue place, the latter was the neutering issue, the second the small animal problem and the first none available!
Maybe those who buy from a decent breeder are selfish and maybe I am responsible for a dog dying because I didn't home them... But I rehome unwanted guinea pigs and rabbits, some that have come from horrific situations like my last three, so that makes up a little for that penance.
I would like a rescue, but I will not give up my small animals or neuter my boys to have that dog, sorry.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Shona, your siggy line says 'if you cant rescue, dont breed'
So you have standards, that might be offensive to someone who has different standards

I have never said 'dont breed' to you or anyone. I have said what my standards are

But when you stay things like

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs
- I said BREEDERS are killing dogs in rescue,

Its a little more than expressing an opinion, when you know perfectly well that we have on this site some very good breeders who take all the precautions necessary to ensure their pups dotn end up in rescue.

You have high standards that good, but with one hand you are setting yours, and the other hand is condemning ALL the breeders here...as killers!!!

The fact you do rescue shows that you are aware of the problem
There are not enough homes for all the dogs their are out there
Now there are idealistic views and then there are completely bazaar ones .. how can anyone possible guarantee that if a buyer does not buy from them, they wont go else where....sorry that logic is completely unrealistic.

Yes I suppose you could say their are not that many rotties in rescue - but some people would have got a different dog if there wasnt enough rotties
Yes you have , on this and other threads...

I said BREEDERS are killing dogs in rescue,[/
I dont think it can be any plainer than the above what you feel about breeders.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No, but if they were forcibly monitored they would have to take responsibility for them and prove what they did with them once past their usefulness. If they were seen to be discarding etc.. the public would take a far harsher view, as it it they have a way out which actually sounds quite nice for buyers, they find a fireside home, well yes so they should, but the breeder and owner should do that NOT a rescue.

Which rescue did Jake come from?
Yes, that should happen but until laws and legislation are put in place then it wont. As the situation currently is, people can abandon or kill a dog easily and never have to take responsibility. So if rescues were not here to take those dogs, then they would be abandoned or killed.

Jake was from the SSPCA.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No, dont think anyone would say that,

I think Lozzi , using Jake as an example, his breeder is exactly the type of breeder we are talking about, one who has a litter knowing he can dump the pups in rescue with no comeback on him/her self.

if Jakes breeder has consequences to answer to , he may not have 1) allowed his bitch to get pregnant, 2( aborted the litter (but that would cost him money ) or 3) take the time to find homes for the pups himself...

But he had no consequences to answer to , he just dumped them in rescue , washing his hands of the problem
Your post is irrelevant in what I was posting in reference to. My point was that someone (i think BD) said most rescue dogs were crossbreeds which I was disagreeing with (never mind the number of breed specific rescues with pedigrees).

Also, many people do not know about the jag to abort a litter and depending on the circumstances, they might not realise the dog is pregnant until it is too late.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Yes, that should happen but until laws and legislation are put in place then it wont. As the situation currently is, people can abandon or kill a dog easily and never have to take responsibility. So if rescues were not here to take those dogs, then they would be abandoned or killed.

Jake was from the SSPCA.

Your post is irrelevant in what I was posting in reference to. My point was that someone (i think BD) said most rescue dogs were crossbreeds which I was disagreeing with (never mind the number of breed specific rescues with pedigrees).

Also, many people do not know about the jag to abort a litter and depending on the circumstances, they might not realise the dog is pregnant until it is too late.
those are set up by people in the breed, funded by people in the breed, such as myself, I think you will find they only take breed specific for a reason, that reason being they LOVE that breed, are dedicated to it, ergo they sort out there own problems, SO as NOT to place a burden on general rescue thus allowing more x breeds or any other breed not covered by them a place in rescue.

they wouldnt just start taking in any old dog if the breed they were responsible for stopped needing rescue.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2010, 01:57 PM
there is the bigger picture than just the one person breeding

if one person didnt breed one litter of pups then the people who would have got them have to go to another breeder
in turn that will knock on to the other people who would have got from that other breeder and it goes on down the line

if supply (the number of dogs bred) exceeds the number of homes for them then dogs will have to be put to sleep

you have given some great reasons for YOU to rescue rotties, wheter you breed them or not
but your siggy is the sweeping statement that everyone who breeds should rescue, why?
Closed Thread
Page 40 of 50 « First < 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 > Last »