Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2006, 11:43 PM

friend wants to breed

Ok im sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Im in the middle of taking over as superviser at work, the woman im working along side with has an 18mth Lab bitch. She looks nice from the pic on her phone but i know nothing about Labs, i was just asuming she was a pet, and didnt even think they would be breeding her.
Anyway today she mentiond that the bitch has only had 1 season so far, but she wants to breed her on her next one with the security gaurds dog. Neither have met each others dogs or know anything about breeding. Shes seen someone advertising a stud for £500 in the paper but coudnt offord that. the bitch, stud, or both sets of parents arent hip scored never mind what ever else a Lab needs. I have tried to explain that its expensive to say the least. They wil be doing it for the money, shes already told me they are strugling with cash.
Shes convinsed cos the bitch has a "family tree that goes back to 1982" it must be good.

I did everything i could to talk her out of it, i feel really sorry for this bitch.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Good heavens, if she can't afford a stud fee, how is she going to manage if her bitch needs a caesarian section, or what if she's left with four or five pups to feed until they're four or five months old.

What if she ends up being sued for negligence because she hasn't had her bitch hip scored or eye tested, and in Labs there's now an Optigen DNA test which is being highly reccommended in the breed.

This is a recipe for disaster, if anything can go wrong, it probably will.

Dawn R.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by enerosar View Post
Ok im sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Im in the middle of taking over as superviser at work, the woman im working along side with has an 18mth Lab bitch. She looks nice from the pic on her phone but i know nothing about Labs, i was just asuming she was a pet, and didnt even think they would be breeding her.
Anyway today she mentiond that the bitch has only had 1 season so far, but she wants to breed her on her next one with the security gaurds dog. Neither have met each others dogs or know anything about breeding. Shes seen someone advertising a stud for £500 in the paper but coudnt offord that. the bitch, stud, or both sets of parents arent hip scored never mind what ever else a Lab needs. I have tried to explain that its expensive to say the least. They wil be doing it for the money, shes already told me they are strugling with cash.
Shes convinsed cos the bitch has a "family tree that goes back to 1982" it must be good.

I did everything i could to talk her out of it, i feel really sorry for this bitch.

If she wont listen to you, then perhaps send her in the direction of this thread..

You could also print this off for her to read: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12589

And failing all that, if she's still not convinced.. drive her over to Rose Tree Farm or Leigh dogs home and see how many Labs are currently running out of time (say hi to catherine for me whilst your there )

I really do hope that your friend changes her mind. Warrington has far too many unwanted dogs each year as it is. (see dogstrust for latest stats)
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 08:20 AM
How irresponsible can you get, her dog nor the stud have been health checked as Nursery said.
She cannot afford a stud fee so how she going to afford everything else.
The bitch will need extra food as her pregnancy progresses, then the feeding of the pups, what if the pregnancy goes wrong and the bitch needs vetinary care to see her through it and then a cesarian. The pups could die or there may only be one or two born, the bitch could also reabsorb them before they are born and they could even lose thier bitch if things went wrong and they don't know what they are doing.
Has she homes lined up for these pups or are they likely to be bought on a whim and then end up in rescues or worse still abused or abandoned pushed from pillar to post.
There are too many unwanted dogs already without adding to them.
Raising pups properly is an expensive buisness and not something to be taken lightly.
Sorry people like this make me so mad.:smt071
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Has she homes lined up for these pups or are they likely to be bought on a whim and then end up in rescues or worse still abused or abandoned pushed from pillar to post.
Raising pups properly is an expensive buisness and not something to be taken lightly.
Sorry people like this make me so mad.:smt071
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass View Post
If she wont listen to you, then perhaps send her in the direction of this thread..

You could also print this off for her to read: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12589

And failing all that, if she's still not convinced.. drive her over to Rose Tree Farm or Leigh dogs home and see how many Labs are currently running out of time (say hi to catherine for me whilst your there )

I really do hope that your friend changes her mind. Warrington has far too many unwanted dogs each year as it is. (see dogstrust for latest stats)
Homes lined up???everyone wants little puppies dont they??? no she hasnt got any homes lined up. She doesnt even know anyone who wants a pup, thats even if she has any to sell if it all works.

i live around the courner from Leigh dogs home, you can hear all the dogs barking as you pass, i remember going there 12yrs ago looking for a rescue there were loads of labs in then.

Im not going to win with her, she can see it as easy money. I just hope she changes her mind.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 09:28 AM
I think its definetely worth either a) buying her a book on breeding or b) printing off an article of reasons not to. either way it should put her off! dont even say anything just drop it off and hope to god she reads it! Then your safe in the knowledge you tried!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
What an excellent article to give that lady!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Totally irresponsible she needs her head looked...
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Great thanks i will print these off for her and leave them inthe office for her to collect on thursday.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >