View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Advice needed from experienced dog owners...

Hi

Would really appreciate some advice from experienced dog owners. We currently have 2 retired greyhound, a male and female (7 & 8 years). We have the opportunity to add a third dog, an italian greyhound (1.5 years). I am cautious about doing this as i only have experience in keeping a pair. They have complete run of the house and get on fine together, i would hate to upset the mix. Anybody got any advice or had experience of this. we would love to take this dog but would hate to upset the two we already have.....
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I have felt like that when I have got a new dog ( I have 5 ) usually I find they are in huff for a week or two then everything is fine
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 11:25 AM
What breed of dog do you have, is it a mixed bunch or all the same?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm sure it would be fine, especially given the breeds, greys are really laid back on the whole, as you will know!

I have a right mixed bunch of breeds here and the most accepting is the lurcher. Best of luck!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 11:40 AM
We have three Border Collies, originally it was my old dog Meg and Reah came into her life at 17 years, then jusy before we lost Meg we took on Skye at 9 weeks, Meg was fine (even though by then she was 23) Reah sulked alittle. Then 10 months ago we had Bruce at 8 weeks old, Skye was a bit huffy, but they soon took him under thier wing and now get on great with one another
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm probably worrying too much. I would just hate to upset the two that i have too much because they had a hard time before they were rescued and i don't want too much upheaval for them. I'm hoping it would turn out to be a positive thing for them rather than a negative, it would be great to see them take him under their wing.

I think i'm also worried that 3 is a crowd as it were and if that would cause issues. I guess there is only one way to find out!!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I have borzois and a dacshund here and all has gone well. The only worry is the size ifference but dachies are sturdy little things, I would worry abou the fact that an Italian Greyhound is a fragile little thing, but ift greys are laid back and yoou break them all in gently and don't leave the little one alone with them till you are sure of what will go on then I think all should be fine. I would just say be wary to begin with.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. My female greyhound is average size but my male is a big boy, having said that they are both very calm and don't jump up until you touch their leads ready for a walk and then they go berserk! I would definately separate them for that. Also with issue of being left alone together, i wouldn't do this until i was 100% sure that there would be no problems. If anything i'm a bit over cautious anyway!! Have you had any jealousy issues?
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by monkeydonkey View Post
Thanks for the advice. My female greyhound is average size but my male is a big boy, having said that they are both very calm and don't jump up until you touch their leads ready for a walk and then they go berserk! I would definately separate them for that. Also with issue of being left alone together, i wouldn't do this until i was 100% sure that there would be no problems. If anything i'm a bit over cautious anyway!! Have you had any jealousy issues?
I have had no jealousy issues with the present 3 and until recently I had another little male dachie.

Before this I had a male an and a female borzoi and the female was a bit jelous of the little bitch Dachie I had then. But with the males past and present and the dachies male and female nojealousy probs at all. In fact my little male Brodie who recetly went to the bridge used to climb all over the boys to get to the door and they just lay there and let him and they both cuddle with my present little female.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I`ve got 4 dogs, and my friend has 5. We`ve never had trouble adding new ones. The dogs are all neutered. At first they are fed separately. It might be a good idea to pick up toys at first too. (Food and Toys might cause squabbles)
I find the dogs enjoy each other`s company and a younger dog livens up the older ones..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >