Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Bella adores cuddles and I thank you.
I knew nothing about Staffies until I joined Dogsey - and if I was ever able to have another dog it could only ever be a Staffie.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Nigredo to this day can't stand being leashed up for a walk. He loves running the park trails and he loves running about the house... but he cannot stand being walked about the neighborhood.

Ever since he was little he's been like this. I told myself that he would get used to it... but he hasn't and he's over a year old now. He sometimes will freeze altogether and it takes a LOT of coaxing to get him moving again (and sometimes I end up having to pretty much pull him up). If a car comes by he will cower, and he's not a cowardly dog.

Some things have nothing to do with a dogs past at all. But they are simply part of the dogs personality. Some people are scared of ridiculous things like cats, despite a cat never having bothered them ever.

If you think about it like that... maybe what you are seeing is merely Bella's personality. Or, if you prefer... a personality flaw.
But its the flaw that makes her perfect seriously Thanks I think its a quirk that I will learn to live with will have to find somewhere safe and secure and let her off lead and see what happens then.

Thanks
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Our late Duncan had never been outside when we got him at about 9-12 months (we were never really sure of his age) he panicked dreadfully if he saw a tree, or if the sky was too big. Took nearly a year of gentle coaxing and carrying him when we went for a walk so he could see that our other dogs were having a great time. And eventually he found it was not so scary and loved being out and about.

Lots of great walks after he realised it was OK and the sky wouldn't fall down and the trees were not scary monsters.

Really want to wish you luck it's worth the effort when they suddenly start to enjoy themselves.
Thanks see I do not have that knowledge about her past. Maybe she has not seen the larger outside world other than streets.

Thank you.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
You can make deductions

town/urban dog? No rural socialization

all the cuts - what's she like with other dogs ?
She walks past other dogs but she is okay with larger dogs here is a friendly greyhound that she seems relaxed with.

But she is on her toes so to speak around bull
breeds even with the nice BullX who is as soft as mustard (he adored my Sal and she him) he does not have a nasty bone in his body yet just his appearance and looking in our direction causes Bella to growl.

It could well be she has never been outside of streets or a yard as she won't push the door open to come in from the garden even if half open she stands or sits the other side. If you open it suddenly she darts up the garden.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I knew nothing about Staffies until I joined Dogsey - and if I was ever able to have another dog it could only ever be a Staffie.
They are good dogs in the right home perfection on legs
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
She walks past other dogs but she is okay with larger dogs here is a friendly greyhound that she seems relaxed with.

But she is on her toes so to speak around bull
breeds even with the nice BullX who is as soft as mustard (he adored my Sal and she him) he does not have a nasty bone in his body yet just his appearance and looking in our direction causes Bella to growl.

It could well be she has never been outside of streets or a yard as she won't push the door open to come in from the garden even if half open she stands or sits the other side. If you open it suddenly she darts up the garden.
Your reply is exactly what I surmised might be the case . if you put together all the factors, you could make an educated assessment that she was ayard dog whose only association with open spaces/ countryside is as a bait dog for fighting ring

your love with see her right

slowly slowly drip drip

driving car to open spaces first ....walk her near car then treats or some form of play whatever she prefer lots of bouncy fun vibes from you

then build up distance to open space and duration over as long as it takes

Other dogs she likes going along for theride and being seen to have fun might help too
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Your reply is exactly what I surmised might be the case . if you put together all the factors, you could make an educated assessment that she was ayard dog whose only association with open spaces/ countryside is as a bait dog for fighting ring

your love with see her right

slowly slowly drip drip

driving car to open spaces first ....walk her near car then treats or some form of play whatever she prefer lots of bouncy fun vibes from you

then build up distance to open space and duration over as long as it takes

Other dogs she likes going along for theride and being seen to have fun might help too
That's what I am pretty much doing she adores the car and travels well so we drive to the park - back of the farms (avoiding all gunshot and similar ) we get out and if we find a person to talk to she is fine - she adores watching squirrels so we sit on the park bench. Then we walk back in the car drive again and repeat several times. In between this she is walked 4 times a day for 20 minutes each time around the estate. And a game of footie or ten chasing the ball ragger round the garden.

Thinking of getting her a springpull.

We will get there she is a good dog and she adores simply adores people.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2