Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Very similar to difference between show Beardies and working lines Beardies.
Lovely dogs. I have to say I like both working line and show line Beardies.

Here is OH's working beardie. I have some working pics also of this lad, but need to scan them in as they are pre-digital camera.

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I have some fabulous photos of working bloodhounds which I must scan and post. They are amazing creatures.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Well there are at least 3 kinds of GSD even if you don't take long coars & whites into account but it is just type diferences not working versus showing.
Must say I've seen two types in valhunds as well, with length of back etc but both types being shown & some winning under one judge & the other type under another.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Must say I've seen two types in valhunds as well, with length of back etc but both types being shown & some winning under one judge & the other type under another.
Really, i must have been wondering round with my eyes shut over the last 13 years or so! The standard is very clear, the dogs should be a height/length ratio of 2/3. The problem arises as to where to measure them from!

There are differences between certain lines - but then there are in any breed. These differences do not prevent any of them working though. There is not a specific type bred to work or bred to show.

Different judges and likewise breeders like different things as will always be the case.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes I agree there's not a work or show type,in valhunds but then there isn't in shepherds either, I fancied a valhund as my second breed for quite a whie but becoming friendly with a few breeders & seeing the different ways they interpreted the standard, which is exactly what we have in shepherds I decided against having one for now.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have some fabulous photos of working bloodhounds which I must scan and post. They are amazing creatures.
I know someone who both shows and works her bloodhounds very successfully. Are the ones you have pics off from a pack?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Lovely dogs. I have to say I like both working line and show line Beardies.

Here is OH's working beardie. I have some working pics also of this lad, but need to scan them in as they are pre-digital camera.

Have seen him before he's smashing? Do you know what breeding he is as he's very like a friend's working Beardie.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Brilliant thread...amazing difference in the first pics, both beautiful though xx

I agree
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the contributions and I'm loving the photos too

It is very interesting to see the differences between working and non working, and also between countries. In the USA the English Setters hold their tails up like flag poles..thats a real no no over here and a bad tailset is considered a fault...horses for courses I think

The lady that bred Baileys grandmother (full champion) also owned his brother and used him on her working stock to put some fresh blood into the system. her working ones are adorable, a bit like a cross between a springer spaniel and a small setter
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
I know someone who both shows and works her bloodhounds very successfully. Are the ones you have pics off from a pack?
Yep, the Berwickshire Hunt who came up to the estate a couple of years ago. I am not pro-hunting, but loved seeing the beautiful dogs and horses.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »