Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 07:07 AM

Same Breed Differences

I don't know if this has been done before, but I was reading a thread about differences in the same breeds and thought that this would be of interest.

English Setters have got to be one of the breeds that have been so far removed from their origins in order to satisfy the show scene.

I'm not complaining btw, I just love them to bits, but for people that don't know the breed it can be quite an eye opener.

Here is a show type English Setter:

And here is a working English Setter, so much smaller and less coat than the show type:

My Bailey's grandmother was the last full champion of the breed, she looked like a show dog but could work,her owner also has working type so trained her up.

Are there any other breeds that have such a variance between the show and working type?
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 07:28 AM
OMG ! !

What a difference?!?!?! I can't believe that ! Can't contribute myself, but think this will an interesting thread

Both lovely doglets
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I also can't believe the difference!! Where has all the hair come from!?!

They are both gorgeous, but look like 2 totally different breeds!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Very similar to difference between show Beardies and working lines Beardies.

I don't show much so don't have a pic in show stance but here is my show lines boy

My working lines boy

and my half and half girl

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Interesting. GSD`s seem to have split 3 ways - but let`s not go there.
I`ve only had 2 shorthaired pointers. I`ve been told there is only one `type` but they have been so different, I wonder.....
One is small, agile and obsessively worky. The other is tall, leggy and very laid back!
Laddie - the worky one

and Shamus the placid one
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 10:29 AM
To be fair don't think my breed has any difference, those shown in Norway have to have a hunting certification and they look no different to our own animals who would not be allowed to hunt even if we had Elk in the UK.

Probably the only difference is in Norway being a working animal you do not see old ones where as in the UK most make old bones.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Great thread! It's really interesting to see the differences! I really do think there are significant differences in GSPs - especially between the American show dogs, and some of the Engish working dogs. Obviously not as much of a complete split between working an show as say, the setter or the springer though. Here are some American show dogs (note incorrect tail carriage though!):

And here's Freda - taller and more solid I think:

Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
To be fair don't think my breed has any difference, those shown in Norway have to have a hunting certification and they look no different to our own animals who would not be allowed to hunt even if we had Elk in the UK.

Probably the only difference is in Norway being a working animal you do not see old ones where as in the UK most make old bones.
I believe we are the same with RR but I am far from an expert
RR are a funtional breed and should have no extemes, there are slightly heavier and lighter builds out there but must remain functional and fit for work
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Brilliant thread...amazing difference in the first pics, both beautiful though xx
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:30 AM
No difference in one of my breeds - the vallhunds are still very much straight off the farm. Most will naturally herd, though don't get the opportunity with cattle in the UK. Some have been known to herd other dogs, children, footballers etc...

As for the German Spitz.......... well they were bred original to sit on dung hills outside the village and bark a warning of anything approaching. They are meant to be heard a mile away, and yes, they can still do it - not that anyone actually breeds them to do this work anymore!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »