register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: how many people here have owned abused dogs?
I have never owned a dog that has been abused. 28 38.36%
My dog has showed behaviour that makes me think s/he was abused. 12 16.44%
I have had a dog that had physical signs of abuse. 15 20.55%
I have had a dog with a documented previous history of abuse. 21 28.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much!! I really am happy. During the whole thing I had to keep telling my husband that we still didn't know who Kavik was. He has been going through so much that I was certain he wasn't being himself yet. He has settled so much.

The vet and I have decided that he is finally happy and healthy enough to get him neutered. He has the most loving and sweet personality and if it was just my husband and I maybe we would not have it done to him (he is almost 7 years old now). But we have a toddler in the house and a cat. He's wonderful with the baby but he still is obsessed with our cat. That is getting better now that he isn't litterally starving. But he still watches her and constantly wants to sniff her or bark at her. Through training I keep it in line but I am hoping that after he is neutered this might get better. Any thoughts?

Cheers all,
Alison
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
wow he looks so much more alive in his little face nice job lovley dogxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mayvren View Post
Thanks so much!! I really am happy. During the whole thing I had to keep telling my husband that we still didn't know who Kavik was. He has been going through so much that I was certain he wasn't being himself yet. He has settled so much.
The vet and I have decided that he is finally happy and healthy enough to get him neutered. He has the most loving and sweet personality and if it was just my husband and I maybe we would not have it done to him (he is almost 7 years old now). But we have a toddler in the house and a cat. He's wonderful with the baby but he still is obsessed with our cat. That is getting better now that he isn't litterally starving. But he still watches her and constantly wants to sniff her or bark at her. Through training I keep it in line but I am hoping that after he is neutered this might get better. Any thoughts?

Cheers all,
Alison
I had the very same thing with Georgie for weeks and weeks when he first came to us, and I really didn't know what the problem was with him. I kept asking myself "is it because he's a rescue and they're all like this?" or "is it because he just doesn't know his place in our home yet?", but then that would have been out of the question because the gsd I had at the time would certainly have told him what his place is around here - i.e. underdog! He just seemed to me to have no personality whatsoever, apart from when playing with Cassie, and everything in our home seemed totally alien to him, even the fridge, let alone the dishwasher, bless him, he'd never seen any of these things before. When I delved deeper, it was then that I found out his previous owner had a special "room" built onto her house for him, he wasn't allowed in the house, he had his own room, all alone, apart from when she took him out I suppose Then one day, it suddenly clicked with him, that this was his home, this is where he was here to stay and I think he liked it, he just suddenly totally and utterly changed overnight really, into the loving, happy dog I have today, well, perhaps not quite as happy because he misses his girlfriend but I'm in the process of sorting that out for him!

It looks very much like that with Kavik from what you say and from the total change in his face from the pictures. Do you think you noticed his sudden change like I did with Georgie? Aren't dogs wonderful that they can forgive and forget and start afresh!! All the best, please keep posting with updates for us
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
he wasn't allowed in the house, he had his own room, all alone, Then one day, it suddenly clicked with him, that this was his home, this is where he was here to stay and I think he liked it,
It does take time, in our case I'm sure that Bara wasn't allowed in the house and at first she was very reluctant to come inside, it took nearly two years for her to finally accept that this was her home, all of it, even upstairs, and now whenever there's fireworks or thunder & lightning, she's inside quicker than you can say 'jump' we even had to fit some copper scratch plates on the doors because sometimes we weren't quick enough to open them Now, in the summer we leave them open during the day so she can come and go as she wishes
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes, that's what I do H, I leave all the doors open, so he can either be out the front on the lovely lawn or out the back on the decking under the sunblind, but do you know where he stays???? In the kitchen against the back door, or under the stairs in his bed! He's turned into an indoor dog, whereas all the others have much preferred to be outside especially on a glorious warm sunny day like today, but I think he likes to keep an eye on me, just in case I make an escape! When they've been pushed from pillar to post, it must take them a long time to realise when they're finally "home" for good! A pup of course, has known no different have they.
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Ok...this is the first photo I got of Kavik. Back when he was being abused. The Rescue took photos when they assesed him. It's horrible...I hate looking at it but I have kept it to remind me of where he came from. Brace yourselves....

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 11:28 AM
and look at the difference now! He certainly doesn't look fed up, frightened, depressed now does he!

You've done wonders for Kavik, and I'm sure he knows that!
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Thank you!

It chills my blood to see that photo. It really does. When I got it, I was incensed. I had been panicking for awhile about him even before I saw him. Then when I saw him I was on to the Rescue trying to force them to get him faster. They kept assuring me that he was being cared for but from the beginning I had a feeling he was not. I was frantic. Then when I got him I realized that I was not insane...one of the Rescue workers won't even speak to me anymore, I was that insane. *lol* I guess it doesn't help that I was right!!!

He's just come up next to me on the couch. He's so perfect. I just wish he'd lay off our cat.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8