register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: how many people here have owned abused dogs?
I have never owned a dog that has been abused. 28 38.36%
My dog has showed behaviour that makes me think s/he was abused. 12 16.44%
I have had a dog that had physical signs of abuse. 15 20.55%
I have had a dog with a documented previous history of abuse. 21 28.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Holy Sh$%t!!! Your Gorgie IS an exact copy!! How tall is he? Kavik is really big for a GSD. He is 28 inches at the shoulder which is a full 2 inches taller than the biggest measurmet for the breed. I have no idea how much he is going to weigh...the poor guy only weighs 35KG at the moment and that is with being skin and bones. I'm expecting him to put on at least another 20kg.

Kavik was really lethargic when I first got him. I don't take my dogs for really long walks as I have a joint problem, but the usual 30-40 minute walk was to much for him. The vet found that he was loosing weight rather than gaining. So I cut it in half and suddenly he seems to be putting on weight and has more energy. He doesn't really know how to play with other dogs but he wants to play with me. I'm sure Ookie will teach him. The biggest thing I've noticed is that he is sent marking now. He used to just piss out everything when we went out. Now he takes his time and sniffs things out. He acts more like a dog. You know?

It's funny because I got Kavik to comfort Ookie after we lost her friend in November. She was so heart-broken I couldn't leave her alone.
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2008, 03:34 PM
*LMAO* My husband doesn't believe me that your dog isn't our dog!
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Helena45, I was wondering. How old is your Gorgie? Maybe Kavik and Gorgie came from the same breeder?? wouldn't that be something! I swear he must be from a breeder. He's so gorgous and the perfect shape for a GSD. Just that Whites are not allowed to be show dogs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Mayvren Georgie measures just over 28" at the shoulder, also just like Kavik, so I wouldn't have thought you want him much over 45 kgs, although my vet said he really would like to see him at 43 kgs. but I just can't do it, but you certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near 55kgs. as he'll be too heavy, too much weight to carry and in turn that will affect his joints. Speak to your vet to see what his ideal weight would be and I really wouldn't have thought it's over 45 kgs.

They're more common than you think these whites. There's a lady near me who breeds them and she currently has 5 of her own. It wouldn't have been my first choice I can tell you, but I couldn't resist him when he landed on my doorstep through a friend of a friend and the local dogwarden who also knew me, it was just meant to be I've always had the longcoats I much prefer them, don't ask me why, but I think their temperaments are slightly better (runs and hides!!!) and I've only ever had one shortcoat standard gsd and she didn't like other dogs! My last one, was black with a few white markings, very longcoated, very beautiful, very smart, and very just about everything you could have wished for, and oh how I miss that dog even now, 6 months down the line, it still hurts Just me and old Georgie now No more for us either, we're getting too old, had too many problems with the last 2, and we want a bit of freedom when we get old! Enjoy your new boy, I'm sure you'll make each other happy if he's anything like Georgie in his personality.
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the tip about how much to feed Kavik. I was not sure how heavy he is supposed to get. I've never had such a large dog. A White wasn't my first choice either. I had put down at the Rescue that I wanted a Black or mostly black if I could. But how could I say no when they offered me a half GSD let alone a White? *lol* It's fate when they chose a dog for me.

I still think they might be related. They look so simialr and are the same height. *winks*
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Lol yes! You could be right, but I've noticed they actually ALL look the same! We have another one on here Lexus belonging to Danish Pastry, now she's gorgeous, bit chunkier, and soooo pretty! I'm sure if you search, you'll find some pics of her!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
...... and here's an almost exact copy!!!

Dontcha just love them!

I got told off by the vet when I first had Georgie coz he shot up to 50kgs!!! So I was told off for "over-mothering" him, and now he weighs a good 45kgs, but that's a lot better than what he looked like when I first had him, he was very ribby. He had never been in a kitchen before, he didn't know what the dishwasher was, and every time I opened the fridge his head was in there! He ate like a dustbin, as if it was always his last meal, but when he got to realise we ate 3 times a day in this house he soon changed Same when going outside, he could pee and poo for England when I first had him, he constantly wanted to go out and I thought how very strange, maybe there's something wrong with him, but of course, it was because if he hadn't been let out on a regular basis, he was going to take every opportunity that arose to go out and relieve himself wasn't he! He's now perfectly normal with his food and everything else, he's got a routine which of course is the basis for a happy dog! Sadly, he's lost his beloved companion (my other gsd I had) coz we lost her in July last year, and he's gone very clingy to me now coz I'm all he's got, and what with losing his previous owner, he sure doesn't want to lose me does he! Awwww, bless him, I love him to bits, he's a very inobtrusive dog if you know what I mean, he'd never offend or be pushy! Unlike all the other dogs I brought up myself Imight add! Lol! All spoilt, every single one of them!

All the very, very best, you have done a wonderful thing and you'll never look back.xxx
There's my gorgeous boy
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mayvren View Post
Holy Sh$%t!!! Your Gorgie IS an exact copy!! How tall is he? Kavik is really big for a GSD. He is 28 inches at the shoulder which is a full 2 inches taller than the biggest measurmet for the breed. I have no idea how much he is going to weigh...the poor guy only weighs 35KG at the moment and that is with being skin and bones. I'm expecting him to put on at least another 20kg.

Kavik was really lethargic when I first got him. I don't take my dogs for really long walks as I have a joint problem, but the usual 30-40 minute walk was to much for him. The vet found that he was loosing weight rather than gaining. So I cut it in half and suddenly he seems to be putting on weight and has more energy. He doesn't really know how to play with other dogs but he wants to play with me. I'm sure Ookie will teach him. The biggest thing I've noticed is that he is sent marking now. He used to just piss out everything when we went out. Now he takes his time and sniffs things out. He acts more like a dog. You know?

It's funny because I got Kavik to comfort Ookie after we lost her friend in November. She was so heart-broken I couldn't leave her alone.
I'd go for about 40kg's as he's quite a big dog. Any more than that could put him in the 'overweight' category (like my lump of a GSD )

He'll learn to play in time. My boy still doesn't know how to play properly and he's 8 in May. He thinks by clamping his gob round another dogs neck gets the desired results, sadly it's not the one's he thinks he's going to get
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Georgie is the same with other dogs, he doesn't quite know how to play Mind you Cassie got him playing within half an hour when he first arrived here, but he played far too rough for her liking so he would get a good telling off sometimes, and then he learned how he must go running outside with her, and instantly lay down and submit by rolling upside down so she could leap on him! Lol! They were funny together, they played and played and played constantly, but since losing her, that has NEVER happened again with any other dogs. They all try, but he's totally disinterested, there was only ever one girl for him

He was hardly ever walked in his past life, and he was only allowed to carry his ball in his mouth, nobody was allowed to throw it

Glad you still have feelings for him Corrie!!! I'm sure he reciprocates!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

Glad you still have feelings for him Corrie!!! I'm sure he reciprocates!
Oh yes, he's still my babe
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >