register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: how many people here have owned abused dogs?
I have never owned a dog that has been abused. 28 38.36%
My dog has showed behaviour that makes me think s/he was abused. 12 16.44%
I have had a dog that had physical signs of abuse. 15 20.55%
I have had a dog with a documented previous history of abuse. 21 28.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Thank you all for sharing your stories. Sometimes I think we need to have a post like this...so we don't loose heart with rehabilitating these dogs.

I have to admit, I don't think I deserve any praise. I had actually specificly told the Recue to find me a reasonably well adjusted dog! *lol* I have a 19 month old son and I was worried if I got an ill used dog again, there might be trouble. But it's turned out the exact opposite.

While Ookie has that great personality where she wants to play all the time, she doesn't have the heart that my Cora had. Kavik has that heart. He is very intuitive and is always the first to lick away my son's tears. He immeditly took Jason as his pup and has been a loving protector. It's been wonderful and it makes me think that Cora send Kavik to us. Sappy, I know.

This is a photo of my son Jason and his protector, Kavik.

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I found a little lurcher pup in the street early one morning. I picked her up and discovered she was just skin and bone - no muscle or fat at all. Took her home and we fed her every 3 hours with tiny amounts to build her up and she survived, much to my surprise. Her paw-pads were completely pink - as though she`d never been outside before, and when she saw a black sack she fled and hid under the bed for hours so I think she`d probably been dumped in a sack. Her fur was matted over her eyes so she couldn`t see. When I trimmed it she sat and stared at the light coming though the window for ages. She turned into a very sweet girl.
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 05:43 PM
It's good to hear that some of you have had your dogs from these amazing conditions to keep them for many healthy years. Maybe the ones who survive this kind of things are made stronger?

Kavik has eaten a whole can for each of his three meals today. *CHEERS* One more meal to go!!! 4 cans a day is my aim with this big lad.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
He's looking much better in post 21 - Jason also a nice young lad - I'm sure they'll be constant companions as they grow. Hope so anyway.
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks Losos. That photo is the most recent photo of him. He seems a lot happier.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
If you have a look in this section of the forum

http://www.dogsey.com/forumdisplay.p...c&daysprune=-1

you will be able to see examples which will hopefully help put your mind at rest that Kavik is well on the road to recovery because you are doing such a great job for him

Have a look particularly at the thread by Egar

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=74928

the dogs on that thread especially are incredible examples of overcoming horrendous cruelty but coming through it all thanks to the kind of love and care which you are giving to your lovely and very lucky Kavik
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I must say I'm so impressed with all these stories about you all taking in rescues and the success people have had with the dogs.It's so sad what a human being can do to an animal but due to lovely people like yourselves these dogs will have a second chance to be happy and treated exactly how they should be.

I have had three rescues and off the three my wee Paddy has had the toughest treatment of them all.He was obviously malnourished and hadn't been groomed in a long time thats if he was groomed at all.He had one testicle half way up his stomach,the vet at the time had thought he had been kicked or it was a breeding fault.When we got him we were told to watch out for him biting as he had been left in a room with two kids under 5 and was nipping them.

The owners who had him said he was raiding bins all the time and had been eating his own dirt.As soon as we got him home he stopped most of these habits and we got him castrated too.He soon settled in and has had a life of riley since,he's such a lovely wee character,though has his moments.

Good luck with all these dogs and I only wish loads more people like ourselves would take the plunge and rescue as it can be very rewarding for both us and the dogs,xxxxxxx
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Looks like a lovely dog and it has been heartwarming to read his story. When we got Rufus he was quite a bit underweight and growled as he ate his food. He has stopped this now but is still very possessive about food and...eats poo! But he's a lovely wee thing and is very loved. Glad to hear Kavics is coming along so well. Good Luck with the 4 tins!
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2008, 02:00 PM

It is kind of you to say this is heartwarming. Very sweet, thank you.

Kavik has spent the last week eating 4 cans of the Hills I/D Sensitive and he's a lot happier! I think his fur looks livlier and maybe he's gained some weight? God I hope so! He's much more energetic and really seems to finally be getting the good from his food. I'm so pleased!

I just with the stuff wasn't so expensive. I may have to talk to the vet about it. We're going through a bad patch for money and 12 cans costs £20 and that lasts 3 days.

Anyway, what's best for him is what we'll continue to do. I'm still only giving him 15 minute walks instead of the 30 minute and I think it is helping. It's a wonderful thing to see!

Thank you all for caring so much. This site has been a real blessing to me. I needed to talk to people who have been through this before. I was so scared he was going to die.... Thank you so much.

Cheers,
Alison
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
So pleased that thinks are picking up, long may it continue.

Hopefully your vet can recommend something other than the Hills prescription diet. We had that a long time ago when Max was poorly, only for a few days, but it cost us a fortune!
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »