Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Grain free diet

Hi there

I'm new to this forum and I've joined because I'm hoping to get some advice about my 10 year old rescued Jack Russell Terrier

I want to feed her a low carb, grain free diet as she is prone to yeast/bacterial infections Can anyone recommend any grain free dog food that is available in the UK?

I've considered feeding her a raw diet but I'm a rather squeamish vegetarian so I'm not keen on handling and preparing meat. Dry food or Canned dog meat is absolutely fine, however!

Please help me to find something that suits us both!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately dry/tinned food will never be as good as fresh as it will not contain enzymes which are essential for good health.

Having said that, if you do go for tinned/dry be careful about some 'grain-free' foods as they contain pulses (which are just as high carb).

Have a look at our Barf thread.. it might not be as bad as you think
Kitty12
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2016, 11:11 PM
Barf... what a suitable name

I've started using Butchers tripe loaf. That claims to be grain free... not sure about pulses though?
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2016, 11:18 PM
My dog is also prone to yeast. The food doesn't have to be grain free but needs to be starch free as starch = sugar = yeast lol

I spent months searching, there are loads of foods to buy in America but over here very few. I started mine on Carnilove dog food which is grain and also potato free.

There's another one Ziwipeak available here but very expensive, you might be better off than me and can afford it haha

Taste of the Wild do 3 which are grain and potato free although the rest have potato and sweet potato in them but the smallest bag seems to be 6kg

Other good grain free foods are Orijen and Eden although high protein content in those two. It's a case of trial and error so hope you find something to help.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2016, 11:25 PM
I think you can get Taste Of The Wild tinned food. Quite a few of my puppy owners are vegetarian, but they do understand that a dog is carnivorous and therefore needs a species appropriate diet. As my puppies are weaned onto raw it is very important to me they continue on raw and to this effect their new families commit to it. Everyone says to me how simple it is and their fears were groundless
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Hello! For all my babies I used
eukanuba and so far it's fit for them.