View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Fudgley - Yes they certainly are there for a function and I'm a bit horrified and sad that it appears not to be generally known.

Everyone please, please, please do NOT cut of the whiskers. They are extremely important, they provide a sense of objects which the dog might not be able to see (due to zero lux lighting which can occur, or if the dog has poor or no visual senses, ie blind)
Dr. Coran in his book 'How dogs think' explains it all in detail, a summary is that the whiskers are so sensitive that as the dogs head approaches a fixed object e.g. a wall, the reflected air from the object will deflect the whiskers and tell the dog to stop or change direction.

Just try to imagine how important that is to dog with failing eyesight or in zero lux light.

Dr. Coran also writes about a blind dog that could run around it's owners house, go up and down stairs, and generally behave like any sighted dog until one day he was sent to a dog grooming place where the obviously untrained staff cut off his whiskers. The poor animal then could only walk slowly from place to place.

While I'm in this mood can I ask any people who are Dogsey members and who are show judges why a judge (Who must surely know something about dogs) would give extra marks for cutting off whiskers, someone mentioned above that it 'looked' better, well I'm sorry but there's loads of humans I could mention who would look better if they had bits chopped off them.

The OP started by asking about whiskers so for heavens sake don't lets get into tail docking now and please don't come back with balderdash about how cutting of the whiskers is the right thing to do, it is not, it never will be, and anyone who does it is not worthy of the term dog lover. Self lover maybe, but the world is full of conceited egoists so nothing new there.

Finaly, if you've already done it inadvertantly, I think they do grow back but it takes a long time (Many years?) perhaps someone who has worked in kennels and knows how long it takes will tell us.

So far as sticking into your eyes, well surely it's sensible to NOT let your dogs mouth & tongue around your mouth nose & eyes anyway, our two dogs can lick me on the neck, cheek, ears, but I always move my head if they get near to my eyes.

I hope this isn't going to turn into a "I want more points in the ring" or I don't want them up my nose" type of trivia, lets get serious about this:-

Dogs need their whiskers
Whiskers should NEVER be cut off
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I've got poodles, bit difficult to shave their faces and leave the whiskers!
Becky
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Kingsley (my Yorkie) has never been groomed without having his whiskers clipped too.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2007, 10:04 PM
i do trim their nose and leave their whiskers. i like them and i think they need them to stab me into my eyes if nothing else

please leave my whiskers (i dont trim her tho )

cute whiskers here too
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by AussieGeek View Post
What are your guys' thoughts on shaving dogs' whiskers?? Do you do it??
i've been trimming all the dogs i've had for 40 years, it makes them look tidier and keeps their faces clean after scoffing their meals down .
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Agree with Losos. The whiskers are highly developed snsory organs. It may be harmful to the dog to remove them. A good website on this.

http://www.winweim.com/whiskers.pdf#...gs%20remove%22

I'm one judge who certainly doesn't prefer them removed. I know it's unavoidable in some breeds but I can't bear it, especially in non clipped breeds.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2007, 12:49 AM
I don't. First, she doesn't show and she's a mix. They seem too sensitive to be cutting anyways... I tried trimming them once, she didn't like it and nor did I. Any time you touch her face, all you could feel was the prickly ends of whiskers, I like it a lot better when they sort of come to a natural, "rounded" tip.

Plus... I like her whiskers, they're pretty!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I've got poodles, bit difficult to shave their faces and leave the whiskers!
Becky
Poodles are highly intelligent and make wonderful companions. Never having owned one I don't know if it's possible but could you not shave up to the nose and 'tidy up' around the whiskers with small hand scissors???

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Kingsley (my Yorkie) has never been groomed without having his whiskers clipped too.
If you don't show him I can't see the point now that you're aware of the importance of these whiskas.

Originally Posted by JacekPacek View Post
i do trim their nose and leave their whiskers. i like them and i think they need them to stab me into my eyes if nothing else
Lovely dogs, especially the Newfie.

Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
i've been trimming all the dogs i've had for 40 years, it makes them look tidier and keeps their faces clean after scoffing their meals down .
But facts are facts, and the fact is these whiskers are more important than mere looks, have to admire you're honesty in admitting you've been doing it for 40 years, I assume you will take the advice of Dr. Coran and others and not do it anymore.

Originally Posted by pod View Post
Agree with Losos. The whiskers are highly developed sensory organs. It may be harmful to the dog to remove them. A good website on this.
http://www.winweim.com/whiskers.pdf#search=%22whiskers%20senses%20dogs%20 remove%22
I'm one judge who certainly doesn't prefer them removed. I know it's unavoidable in some breeds but I can't bear it, especially in non clipped breeds.
Thanks for that link Pod - Somehow I get the feeling some people will not look at it, nor buy the book I quoted from, nor listen to you (Who I previously judged to have some expertise) I was hoping there would be some judges with sensitivity out there

Originally Posted by -GreyhoundGirl- View Post
I don't. First, she doesn't show and she's a mix. They seem too sensitive to be cutting anyways... I tried trimming them once, she didn't like it and nor did I. Any time you touch her face, all you could feel was the prickly ends of whiskers, I like it a lot better when they sort of come to a natural, "rounded" tip. Plus... I like her whiskers, they're pretty!
That's a point I hadn't considered but an extremely valid one, thanks for mentioning it
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't trim Jacks whiskers, my mornings wouldn't be the same without being woken up by a poke in the face by a wet nose, then the tickling of his wiskers as he tries desperatly to wake me
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-05-2007, 11:42 AM
CLMG

and if none of that works the licking of any part of you that happens to be outside the duvet
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >