View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Campylobacter - how long for antibiotics to work?

Hi I have posted a thread in the past about Maddison's sensitive tummy, which I had put down to some sort of allergy or food intollerance. Anyway as I thought Maddi was underweight and size for her age and the daily upset tummy was not normal I took her back to the vets a couple of weeks ago. Anyway this time they agreed that something might be wrong with her and did some stools tests. It came back that she had campylobacter and she was prescribed the antibiotic erythromycin. It is a course of 10 days and she has been taking it for the last 7 days. The vet said that this particular antibiotic might not work and she might have to try a different one if it doesn't work. So my question is if it was working should I expect to see improvements in the diarroeah by now? Her stools are still really soft and I have been out watercanning the grass in the back garden each morning to clean it. I did give Maddi her worming tablet yesterday if that makes a difference and she is fed on Chappie wet and dry original.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 08:54 AM
The issus may nor may not be with the antibiotic, some bad infections may need something as strong as chloramphenicol (sp?)

However the dog's gut has been stripped of good flora which will also affect motility, formation etc of stools so I would be feeding pre and probiotics myself in the form of bananas and live yoghurt.

Or capsule probiotics.

Manuka Honey and/or Slippery Elm Food can also be useful
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I would phone the vets and ask their advice - 7 days worth of antibiotics should have made a marked difference. They may say to wait another day or so or they will prescribe a different antibiotic.
Poor you and poor Maddison. I hope she gets sorted very soon and can start to thrive.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:01 AM
The vet said she has possibly had this infection all her life (she's 8 months) and could have been infected by her dam. So I suppose it could have taken a strong hold by now.

I will try her with the banana and live yogurt, how much would you give her daily?

Should I contact the vet and let him know the antibiotics haven't made any changes yet or wait for the results of the second stools test three weeks after she finishes this course of anti biotics.

Also what is the risk to other dogs, atm I am restricting her to onlead walks only and no contact with other dogs while she is on antibiotics. My other dog is staying away from home too. Do I need to continue this until the stools tests come back clear? I'm keeping her on the lead to reduce the chances of reinfection as she eats stuff she finds on the floor and to give her the best chance of getting better. But I can't help feeling bad that she's missing out. She's also very shy and timid and the prolonged absence from other dogs I am worried about her getting worse in this respect. She's already barking at other dogs when she sees them now.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by CharleyMaddison View Post
The vet said she has possibly had this infection all her life (she's 8 months) and could have been infected by her dam. So I suppose it could have taken a strong hold by now.

I will try her with the banana and live yogurt, how much would you give her daily?

Should I contact the vet and let him know the antibiotics haven't made any changes yet or wait for the results of the second stools test three weeks after she finishes this course of anti biotics.

Also what is the risk to other dogs, atm I am restricting her to onlead walks only and no contact with other dogs while she is on antibiotics. My other dog is staying away from home too. Do I need to continue this until the stools tests come back clear? I'm keeping her on the lead to reduce the chances of reinfection as she eats stuff she finds on the floor and to give her the best chance of getting better. But I can't help feeling bad that she's missing out. She's also very shy and timid and the prolonged absence from other dogs I am worried about her getting worse in this respect. She's already barking at other dogs when she sees them now.

A banana and a small pot of yoghurt a day will help, it can certainly do no harm (unless of course your dog has issues with casein or lactose).

Have you asked the vet about your dog shedding the bacteria and thus being a potential pool of infection to dogs (and humans of course).

I would phone the vet and say it appears there has been little or no change, however he may wish to see the results of the stool test before advising on anotheer course of ABs or may switch to another.

Always speak to vet if you are concerned especially in cases like this where her infection can be a problem to others.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Jenny.g did not see your post as I was writing mine at the same time. Thankyou both for your comments. I have spoken to the vet nurse she is going to pass a message on to the vet for him to give me a call back later on today. Any opinions on the lead walks avoiding other dogs? On good thing is that it's giving us lots of opportunity to perfect our loose leash walking.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Again did not see your reply Smokeybear as I was writing again. I will continue what I'm doing then and keep her away from other dogs for the time being.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 09:16 AM
If your dog is shedding bacteria, it may be wise to isolate her from other dogs unless your vet tells you different.

Good luck,
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Spoken with the vet and they are increasing her dose from half a tablet 2 x daily to half a tablet 3 x daily. Im also going to give her a banana and 2 tablespoons of live yogurt a day, as a lunch with half a tablet.

I will ask about keeping her away from other dogs when I collect her medication at lunch time.

I hope this works, I thought she might need a stronger antibiotic though, but she's just having more of what she's on now.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:49 AM
TBH some of the stronger ABs can have severe side effects so I expect they are cautiously optimistic.

Fingers crossed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >