Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
IS breeding from your bitch so that "you" as the "breeder" can have a pup, a good enough reason to take a litter from her?.

whether it be from a bitch that is shown, worked or a pet..or is it just ok for some of these and not the other(s)?.

Devil Dogz..
Sorry Helena..I thought this explained it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 02:02 PM
No my mistake, I'm a bit slow on the uptake I just thought that anyone who bred a litter from their own dog could class themselves as "the breeder" kind of thing? What do we call somebody then who breeds a litter from their own dog who isn't a reputable/long standing breeder then,and because it was in inverted comma's, that's what I thought it meant! I'm old yer see!!!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 02:11 PM
I know dogs are kept or rather should be kept as pets first and foremost even if they are shown or worked.

I'm taking the word pet to mean those that don't particually have an indepth knowledge of the breed or the standard to which they should be breeding to.
And they have a dog which has faults and should not be bred from,but she would be a great mother and the owner only wants to breeds pets not working or show dogs,now I don't think dogs like this should be from.

The other two, show and working dogs then if they are of a good enough quality and the breeder is keeping a puppy to further lines and to show/work then that's acceptable to me.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Having read all the replies in here, I think I must have got the wrong end of the stick here?? I thought you were asking whether Tom,Dick, or Harry should just breed from their dog because they wanted another dog just like the one they had!!!

Surely, breeding to further the lines blah, blah, blah and keeping one or two pups from the litter, IS exactly what a BREEDER does isn't it??? Otherwise, what do breeders breed FOR then if it isn't to further the lines and keep a dog themselves??? I'm lost here......:roll:
I think the original question is a little ambiguous in the fact it could be taken in a few different way... my answer and I the original poster , was related to what you have written above.

But as we know a breeder comes in all shapes and sizes, some good some not so good...but regards a good ethical breeder, then the fact they breed to with the intent to keep a puppy , is the best reason to breed...

It will be to continue their lines in either work or show.

No my mistake, I'm a bit slow on the uptake I just thought that anyone who bred a litter from their own dog could class themselves as "the breeder" kind of thing? What do we call somebody then who breeds a litter from their own dog who isn't a reputable/long standing breeder then,and because it was in inverted comma's, that's what I thought it meant! I'm old yer see!!!!
A breeder , anyone who breeds a litter for whatever the reason accident or on porpose is a breeder.

The reasons behind the breeding is something completey different , depending on the breeder!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 02:21 PM
To me a breeder is anyone that takes a litter from there bitch..
Doesnt always mean there a good breeders but a breeder all the same.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks for helping me out there Jackie

Right, so I'm now back to square one then with what you have just put again there Devildogz, when you actually say now "a breeder is anyone who takes a litter from their bitch" unquote, coz in my view, we're back to any old bod who just wants to produce a litter from their own personal, private, pet dog just because they like the look of it and like what it does and they want another one JUST LIKE THAT one is! NO, I don't agree with this at all again now then!!

If you're talking breeder specific, i.e. breeders who BREED dogs be it for a living or for pleasure, they know what they're doing, they health test, they do just about everything, and they do it to further their own breed, then yes, I'm all for that if they want to improve on what they've got!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Right, so I'm now back to square one then with what you have just put again there Devildogz, when you actually say now "a breeder is anyone who takes a litter from their bitch" unquote, coz in my view, we're back to any old bod who just wants to produce a litter from their own personal, private, pet dog just because they like the look of it and like what it does and they want another one JUST LIKE THAT one is! NO, I don't agree with this at all again now then!!

Yep, agree with that one, my answer would be NO!!

If you're talking breeder specific, i.e. breeders who BREED dogs be it for a living or for pleasure, they know what they're doing, they health test, they do just about everything, and they do it to further their own breed, then yes, I'm all for that if they want to improve on what they've got!

As above, my answer in Yes!! as that is the whole ethos of breeding, to improve and to keep!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 07:22 PM

I agree with all that..People breeding from dogs of poor standard, non health tested and just so they can have a pup thats looks like there bitch is a NO for me also..

Breeding to show and work the pup you keep and continue your line with the betterment of the breed is acceptable imo..

Im sorry to have confused you so much! im not the best at explaining things!

DevilDogz..
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it depends tbh. If it is purely just for them wanting a pup from their bitch, I would say a big no. but if they want to further the breed and keep one of the pups then I think its ok.

The way I read it though, was that it was people just wanting a dog from their bitch and not to further the breed… probably got that wrong though.

I am against breeding though, if it is for anything other than furthering the breed. Far too many dogs are in desperate need of homes, but obviously some people need to breed to keep the breeds going but I think too many people do it causing an overpopulation. and too many people doing for the money…
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 12:14 PM
i plan to breed from my bitch next year, but i am already seriously thinking about where my puppies will go and getting her booked in for the health tests she needs to have now. im looking at appropriate mates and reading numerous books on breeding, mating, whelping, weaning etc, and asking as many questions as i can think of. im not naive and i am also not in it for the money, i know that not much profit is made but this does not bother me. everyone has to start somewhere though and people do get judged for wanting to breed a litter if it is their first time.

i dont agree with people breeding from a bad quality dog, or breeding simply because they want some money. a dog is not a machine, its first and foremost a much loved pe, and its needs and wants should be put way before your own.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3