Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Even we from the richer countries of the world would be hard put to survive on the sort of diet some remote tribes still have today, however healthy they are we would not do very well if we had to revert to a diet we left behind thousands of years ago.
There was a documentary on TV a while ago where they sent some overweight Brits to a remote tribe - somewhere in Asia I think - which have the healthiest diet in the world allegedly). The Brits weren't too impressed - but they did lose weight!

I wouldn't fancy it, although I do eat a mostly Asian diet
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Yeah, that's what I read too. Don't know how true it is because they probably digest bone and meat at different rates as well as veggies. My dog has eaten kibble and raw in the same meal (just once or twice) and it hasn't done him any harm.

Maybe if you ask him really really nicely to bring you a cuppa in bed?

About how similar dogs are to wolves - there is only 0.2% difference in their mitrochondrial DNA. That's the same amount of difference between a caucasian and an Asian. So a domesticated dog IS a wolf in the same way that caucasians and Asians are both homo sapiens. The digestive systems are the same.

In the greater scheme of things, 300,000 years is a lot longer than 130 years (which is how long you tell me commercial dog food as been available). I think it would take longer than 130 years for a dogs digestive system to evolve into something completely different from it's wolf counterpart, although I'm not a biologist so I could be wrong .

I'm not saying everyone should feed raw, it's just nice to be in possession of all the facts

I used to be of the opinion that dogs could easily digest grains, veggies etc and that this shoud be a major part of their diet. But after chatting with several people and doing a lot of reading, I found out how similar dogs are to wolves (I was very shocked!). I still give Bryan leftovers of veggies etc. but it's on top of his daily intake of meat/organs/bone.

Thanks for the discussion guys, I'm really enjoying it. It's so nice to be able to have an adult conversation on a forum Yay Dogsey!
Yes complete dogs food first appeared in the mid 1800's but if you read the article I linked it says "Before the advent of pet foods, most dogs and cats lived off of grains, meats, table scraps and homemade food from their owners. It wasn’t until the mid-1800’s that the world saw its first food made specifically for dogs." so who knows just how long dogs had been fed on such a diet before dog food came about? It obviously didn't do them any harm What I would really like to hear is an explanation for the sudden change in one of my dogs when fed a diet with all the things that he apparently doesn't need...... The thing is I don't disagree with you and I want to feed mine raw but right now Sol seems to have other ideas........ still haven't managed to get that cup of tea though but he does give me really nice early morning cuddles when I get up at 1am for work.....
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't envy you getting up at 1am for work! My partner gets up at 5am and I thought that was bad!

I think the difference is down to the ingredients in Arden Grange being 'calming' ingredients. That's all I can think of. Perhaps feeding him totally raw gives hi what he needs nutritionally, but doesn't have the added ingredients that Arden Grange has? Like having a milky drink or similar?
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't envy you getting up at 1am for work! My partner gets up at 5am and I thought that was bad!

I think the difference is down to the ingredients in Arden Grange being 'calming' ingredients. That's all I can think of. Perhaps feeding him totally raw gives hi what he needs nutritionally, but doesn't have the added ingredients that Arden Grange has? Like having a milky drink or similar?
That's just it though he isn't calmer, he's still mad as a box of frogs and up for it he just seems more comfortable in his skin I'm not explaining this very well am I? All of mine are couch potatoes at home, they always have been, even loopy la la deef who likes nothing better than to lie around watching television. As soon as their is something for them to do, go training or out for a walk they are up for it, sol runs around like an idiot with a toy in his mouth talking to himself until it's his turn to have his lead put on, the others usually wait calmly and block the front door so they know they are not being left behind This hasn't changed at all, what's different is that in a high stress environment like agility and at a recent show sol was more relaxed in general. Up until then he was ok until another dog in a queue or at ringside decided to have a sniff at him and then he would worry and grumble to himself. He's never been aggressive in any way, it was just uncertainty and his reaction was to both dogs and bitches alike. At that show I never heard a grumble from him all weekend. Our next show is 19th April so it will be interesting to see how he reacts to that

I get up at 1am so that I can walk the dogs before I go to work (I start at 3am and have to travel 20 miles) I then go and do supermarket deliveries while most of the lemmings are asleep in their beds and not out on the roads which makes my life a lot easier Yesterday was "fun" in the snow though.....!!!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Let us know how the next show goes!
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Let us know how the next show goes!

I will! I also think I may have worked out what made such a difference to him.....
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
I will! I also think I may have worked out what made such a difference to him.....
oooh what????
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnn (that's dramatic music).....

What a cliff hanger! Quick tell us what you think it is???

colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2008, 05:35 PM
well I saw on another forum a post about someone who had been recommended to give their dog vitamin B6 to boost serotonin levels in conjunction with a DAP collar that she is already using....... I have no idea what is wrong with the other dog but B6 is found in a variety of foods including rice which is obviously in nature diet. You also find B6 in brewers yeast which is in AG. I also take brewers yeast myself and occasionally let them have a tablet as they like them. I can't remember whether I gave them any before the first training session but I know I did over easter and never thought anything of it....... I don't think he was "deficient" in vit B but it may be that they all needed more and perhaps that bit extra made a big difference to the merley monster? I am going to carry on as we are for now and see how he is at the next show and if he is still much better then get him back onto raw and add brewers yeast for good measure and see if his mood remains the same for the next one 2 weeks after that.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
That's really interesting Colliemad. I know people give brewer's yeast to keep fleas off, but didn't realise it had B6.

I'm starting studying again in a couple weeks time, so maybe I'll get some for myself!

Maybe if you do go back to raw you could give him raw egg with brewer's yeast mixed in?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >