Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
I want my dogs to have the best for them even if it's not the best for me
I think there are other dog owners that should take note of that! Very well said.
Becky
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 11:25 AM
I want my dogs to have the best for them even if it's not the best for me
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think there are other dog owners that should take note of that! Very well said.
Becky
In theory that is correct but people can only feed what they can afford, have time to prepare and room to store. Think all dog lovers do the best they can for their dogs but not all can achieve the very best nor sometimes what others would consider the best.

Have been on forums where people are so intent on spreading the word on the latest in thing or a way of feeding they consider the best they can be dogmatic and quite unpleasant to those who do not agree with them or have a different point of view as to what constitutes "THE BEST"

Sure everyone will feed the best they can choosing food they consider good, affordable and practicable for them.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Colliemad, I was wondering, by 'feeding raw' do you mean you were feeding Nature Diet exclusively or were you feeding real meat also?

I feed human grade meat, organs and bones to my dog. Nature Diet has other stuff added to it - it's only about 60% meat I think (will have to check that).

My dog was on Arden Grange, but since swapping to a prey model diet we havn't had any behavioural problems (apart from the usual teenage antics!).

However, I wouldn't be averse to going back to Arden Grange if we really had to (although I don't think Bryan would be impressed!).
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
In theory that is correct but people can only feed what they can afford, have time to prepare and room to store. Think all dog lovers do the best they can for their dogs but not all can achieve the very best nor sometimes what others would consider the best.

Have been on forums where people are so intent on spreading the word on the latest in thing or a way of feeding they consider the best they can be dogmatic and quite unpleasant to those who do not agree with them or have a different point of view as to what constitutes "THE BEST"

Sure everyone will feed the best they can choosing food they consider good, affordable and practicable for them.
I agree with this - raw feeders can get a little overzeaous . I hope I'm not too guilty of it though
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Not sure where that came from? I didn't suggest otherwise simply pointing out that what seems to be best for at least one of my dogs is not what I would like to feed them (raw) but in fact a complete food If you actually go back and read the entire post that quote came from it makes more sense? I have never tried to convert anyone to feed their dog the way I feed mine. I have only told people what appears to work for my dogs, they then choose to feed theirs whatever suits them regardless of whether it is something I would give to mine! As for people "spreading the word" that is one of the reasons I don't really get into discussions about different methods of feeding as I cannot be bothered with their blinkered view that only their way is right. It may be right for them but not necessarily for others.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Colliemad, I was wondering, by 'feeding raw' do you mean you were feeding Nature Diet exclusively or were you feeding real meat also?

I feed human grade meat, organs and bones to my dog. Nature Diet has other stuff added to it - it's only about 60% meat I think (will have to check that).

My dog was on Arden Grange, but since swapping to a prey model diet we havn't had any behavioural problems (apart from the usual teenage antics!).

However, I wouldn't be averse to going back to Arden Grange if we really had to (although I don't think Bryan would be impressed!).
I have been feeding "raw" for two years. I only fed the nature diet for a couple of days as I was running down my freezers to defrost them and was getting a little low on meat and didn't particularly want to order more at that point. My point is that he is a totally different dog on a diet that includes those "other things" and for the better
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Colliemad, my comments were not directed at you or anyone else, just wished to point out that peoples ability and pocket may preclude them from a particular form of feeding and that does not make them bad or selfish owners
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Colliemad, my comments were not directed at you or anyone else, just wished to point out that peoples ability and pocket may preclude them from a particular form of feeding and that does not make them bad or selfish owners
I don't disagree with you, that's why I keep referring to my dogs. I do get a bit annoyed at the whole we are right and you are wrong brigade and tend to stay away from that so maybe I am just being a little bit oversensitive This is not about right and wrong but the fact that I was feeding raw and yet it seems that at least one of my dogs is better off on a complete food which really surprised me, it's not what I would like but if that's what he needs then so be it I know from past experience with complete food that Kel and Deef cannot have any additives so I had to look for a food that doesn't contain any hence it was AG, it could just have easily been something far cheaper
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
All of mine are AG. I personnally think its the best food on the market.
They absolutely adore it. I have fed Burns before but they all became too lean on it. I do like the food though!
Its so nice when you have found a food which suits your dog.
I'll be with AG for the rest of my dog ownership life
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I agree AG is the best commercial dog food. I don't think it's expensive either - works out about 30p a day for a dog of Bryan's size.

Colliemad, if it works for your dog you're doing the right thing. But it is strange. The raw diet is what dogs are evolved to eat and have been for tens of thousands of years.

I was thinking, Dog's Trust told us they feed Arden Grange because it helps keep the dogs a bit calmer - because of the ingredients (obviously nothing harmful/chemicals as it is a very good quality dried food). Maybe there's smething in it which is helping your dog concentrate better?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >