Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Yeah its hard to judge from pics

I promise I will think carefully from now on..
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Morning B/L, know you think I`ve been harsh you but I`m really concerned for Luna. I nearly always try to put links on that are written by people with qualifications so people can read & see thats its not my opinions only but also of people that are qualified to say so. They`re the people who should be listened to, along with people who`ve the experience of time & practice.

Join more raw feeding forums, read the archives, read read & read again. Listen to the people who know & ask them questions first before changing things. I can give you links to some very good forums if you want.

Theres one thing that`d make me really happy & stop me worrying & thats you telling me Luna had 500gms meat last night
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 07:44 AM
One sign of a thyroid problem, re overactive, could show as a swelling of the glands that is felt just under the jaw bone. Underactive thyroid, lethargic, put on weight.

If there are any sudden changes in your dog I would get her checked out with a very to be safe.

Re raw feeding, my trainer feeds her dogs of the Barf Diet(think I spelt it right) (Raw Foods) Although I don't think she gives too much veggies.

I would also research and investigate this diet more to be sure that this it is balanced for breed of dog.

Min xxxx
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Hi Christine

No you are not harsh.. I understand what you mean and how you feel.

I would like some links yes please

500 grams????????? She's NEVER had 500 grams of meat!!!!!

She had more than usually but not 500 grams, if I gave her 500 grams, I would be having a really obese dog in a matter of days (seconds more likely)

When I started on raw I gave her 675 grams in total.. That was veggies, RMB and meat, and she gained weight from that...

I did take her biking yesterday for 15 minutes and after that she was running around and playing with a stick, so she's def. not lethargic.. More lazy if anything, and able to trick her mum

I wrote the breeder yesterday.. doubt there'll come an answer though.. They are not easy to keep in touch with unfortunately. I would have loved to let Luna play with her mum and sister frequently (there's a couple of pics of them from last year in Luna's birthday pic thread)

And about the other thing we talked about via pm, its done!!!
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Hiya ok I`ll get the links sorted & pm you them in a bit, bit busy outside now & just popped in for a coffee & a quick peep as you do

Well ok maybe not 500gms how about a pound instead

Mind I do feed more meat than bone. Veggies/fruit are an aside, as they they are less important to the diet & I`m pretty relaxed about it, I go by how they are & their poops are .

Tell me do you follow the recipes in the book or mix n match with other recipes?

Shame about the breeder, never mind tho. I have the opposite to you, I`m told mine need fattening up, I just say yep OK & carry on my own sweet way & stick my tongue out ......behind their back of course Got friends coming later this afternoon & I just know what they`ll say, only difference is they show (pointers)& they do know what they`re talking about (I think I do as well )& we`ll end up having a big discussion about it I don`t pull tongues at them behind their back tho cos we`re v good friends

Excellent news about the other!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Uhm I dont know if I follow a book's recipe as such.. I probably dont.

I was feeding 60% RMB, 30% meat and 5% veggies and 5% offal...

When I first started out, I was feeding: 35% RMB, 35% Veggies and 30% meat.. I fed liver and heart instead of meat once a week
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Hmmm well heart is meat, muscle meat & although officially it`s offal, when fed to dogs its classed as muscle meat not offal

Peoples version of a raw meaty bone differ so depends what rmb`s you use. If say I gave a whole chicken leg weighing 8oz then I`d add to that at least 8oz of meat chunks, (I don`t use mince I use meat cut into chunks & the 8oz depends on my dogs, some get more some less)). Then when they have whole quail, either 1 or 2 to make up 8oz, to that I`d add at least 8oz of meat chunks. Maybe 1 or 2 times a week they have a chicken leg & a quail, no meat, but again the weight is no less than a pound per dog. If I get breast of lamb then depending on how meaty they are they would get anywhere from 8oz to a pound of meat chunks. If they get rabbit they don`t as a rule get any meat chunks as its quite meaty. One day I may give quails only but its made up to at least a pound in weight so they could end up having maybe 2-3-4 quails depending on what they weigh.
Some days they`ll have porridge made with milk & eggs added & then they have at leats a pound of meat chunks only, I don`t give any bones the day they have that.
The meat I use is either pork, heart or beef, chicken breast depending on price

Veg is on top of, as I don`t class the calories in them as significant but my dogs are fine weight wise & I don`t think they should be a big part of dogs diet.

So thats how I work my lots diet
can anyone work out the percentages
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 01:34 PM
The amount of rmb I feed varies because the rmb vary themselves, when you think of all the differences between say breast of lamb, two jointed chicken wings, 3 jointed ones, turkey necks, ribs etc etc...Sometimes there is going to be more meat on the bone or less meat and I adjust what I add, meat wise, accordingly, so for me to always stick to an exact percentage wouldn't be right.

When I feed whole items like whole fish, rabbit or chicken I tend to add only offal as extra (if they don't come with there own inerds).
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Just to say...I just look at the rmb, guess what percentage of it is bone and base that on how much I will feed and what will go with it that day or over a couple days etc
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
The amount of rmb I feed varies because the rmb vary themselves, when you think of all the differences between say breast of lamb, two jointed chicken wings, 3 jointed ones, turkey necks, ribs etc etc...Sometimes there is going to be more meat on the bone or less meat and I adjust what I add, meat wise, accordingly, so for me to always stick to an exact percentage wouldn't be right.

When I feed whole items like whole fish, rabbit or chicken I tend to add only offal as extra (if they don't come with there own inerds).
Exactly Mys, thats why I don`t/can`t do percentages & go by the dogs poops, too white or hard=too much bone so more meat is needed
Think I have it right now as its very very rare its hard or white

I don`t give wings or necks or carcasses cos just not enough meat on them for my liking, plus I need an awful lot for my Labs & they`re better with larger things
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >