View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2013, 07:38 AM

Thinking of leaving money in a Will to a dog charity?

Forget it.

Words fail me
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-01-2013, 07:46 AM
I think I have read something similar a while ago regards another big organisation.(sp)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here, the dog had been 5 days with no food and water they said and no meds for what sounds like bad arthritis. We cannot know how much pain the dog was in and sometime PTS is the kindest thing for them.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2013, 03:28 PM
It's the vets who are to blame in this case, while Henry was alive they were happy to try to extend his life by selling their drugs and services to an owner who they knew would pay, the minute there's the possiblity they wouldn't get paid, or not paid quickly (Like any organisation Wood Green have to consider the cash flow situation constantly) they recommend PTS

It stinks, but then so much of human behaviour stinks
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think I have read something similar a while ago regards another big organisation.(sp)
Yes, you are right Lynn 'tho I can't recall the details, wasit on Dogsey???
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Terribly sad, but this is a newspaper article and we all know how newspapers make stories up and bend the truth.

There is a strong possibility that poor Henry was in a dreadful state after 5 days of not leaving his mistresses side and that it genuinely was the kindest thing to have him PTS.

I personally take everything I read with a pinch of salt as I've seen too many newspaper articles that bear little truth to the facts.

Articles like this one do so much harm as who on earth would want to donate to any animal charity after reading that.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 05:56 PM
The vet described Henry as bloated, distressed and in pain
If the dog had not eaten in days, then was given food and water and taken out for a play (as the article states) then it is quite likely that the dog suffered an episode of bloat (as per quote from the vet) and the only thing that could be done under the circumstances was to put the poor thing to sleep.

Poor thing, I feel sorry for him; but wouldn't be so quick to blame the charity for the dog being pts, esp if it was the vets assessment that it was the best action to take for the dog.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Yes, you are right Lynn 'tho I can't recall the details, wasit on Dogsey???
Can't remember where I saw it must of been tinternet because we don't buy newspapers in this house.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-built-on.html

Are you thinking of this one by any chance?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
then it is quite likely that the dog suffered an episode of bloat (as per quote from the vet)
I'm trying not to be pedantic here but the DM quote was :-

"The vet described Henry as bloated, distressed and in pain".

That's not the same as 'Bloat' or at least I didn't read as being the same. Bloat is a terrible condition but I always understood that a dog would die within half an hour if he had that.

Bloated could just be the effect of not eating for five days. By the way if there was water available a dog could easily last that long.

Still I take the point made about the Daily Mail, a rubbish paper, and as mentioned it would have been better if this story had never appeared as it may well put people off donating to Wood Green Animal rescue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >