View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2012, 09:32 AM
oh definately naked - their fur on their neck is too lush and silky to have a collar round their neck in the house - a collar stops you burying your face in their lovely fur!!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Collars always on here, the only time they come off is bathtime and the collars are washed at the same time and they go straight back on as soon as they are dry.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Same as Trouble. They never irritate our lot and i figure that if the worst was to happen and they might escape, someone might at least be able to grab on to them and/or then find out where to take them back to.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Flame and Rip haven't worn collars for the last year or so, as they only have walks in and around at home. I obviously put a collar on if they have to go to the vet etc.

I have tried taking Yogi and Zak's collars off in the house, but more often than not then forget to put them back on when we go out for a walk so they keep them on now.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
Same as Trouble. They never irritate our lot and i figure that if the worst was to happen and they might escape, someone might at least be able to grab on to them and/or then find out where to take them back to.
Ditto. I suppose it's a case of weighing up pros and cons. I left collars on in the old house as I shared with my brother and his girlfriend so felt there was a higher risk of escaping with more people coming in and out of the house. I thought I might start removing them once OH and I moved out on our own, but due to the location and having no wall or gate on the front garden, I feel safer knowing they could be easily grabbed if they did ever get out. I might not bother if we had a front gate/wall, or if we had a bigger hallway (layout makes it awkward to get into house and leave the door between living room and front door closed) if there's a few of you or you'd ladled up with shopping bags), so lots of factors I'd take into consideration when deciding what to do.
I do frequently check the fit of the collars to make sure they're not too tight or too loose, and replaced them when they became a bit worn, and there's only two door handles where the dogs can access - one hidden behind a curtain and one quite high up (even given the size of the dogs), and nothing else they could catch the collars on (e.g. kitchen chairs have completely rectangular backs, cupboard door handles are flat, etc)
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Collars come off as soon as we get in from a walk.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I've had phases of collars on/collars off in the house. Now the mornings are darker and our walks/jogs are in the dark, they are wearing their padded reflective Hurtta collars. They fasten with velcro and a clip rather than having a set size or holes to choose from like a buckle collar, so it can be a bit annoying to get it exactly the right size.

I decided to just leave their collars all the time at the moment. Because they are light, squidgy and padded they are comfortable and don't rub the fur on their necks like their proper leather whippet collars do. Since Billy has taken to creating escape routes in the garden to go squirrel chasing (ripping sections off the fence panels every now and again which then require patching up) it also gives me more peace of mind. Plus I have a lodger and friends visiting etc; if the dogs ever escaped through the front door I'd be very glad of their collars.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Mine keep theirs on but they have buckle collars as I heard some horror stories about the adjustable ones pulling tight when the dogs were playing and strangling the dog. I do leave my dogs in two pairs though so they would hopefully not get too silly when I'm out.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2012, 03:23 PM
On.
I'm too paranoid about them escaping, sneaking out between someone's legs (even though I have a stairgate on the lounge door) actually, it's the kids I don't trust, my youngest opened the door to the postie a while back, after he'd signed for the parcel the postie said "aren't you going to go and get your dog back?"
Reggie was sniffing his way down the street happy as Larry! youngest hadn't even noticed.
They don't play flight, their idea of a game is chasing each other throught the house, Maggie gets a bit narky when there's any actual physical contact.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Cain only wears his collar on walks, although he does wear a thin light plastic pheromone collar at all times. I think he'd be too uncomfortable wearing two collars all the time. Plus he's microchipped if he gets out, and should he escape I don't think anyone would want to get close enough to read his tag anyway
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >