Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lubbylou1
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Any ideas whats wrong with Alfie??

Hi All,
Im new to this and new to being a dog owner..
Alfie is a 5yr old staffie that we have had for 3 weeks, he has been excellent since we have had him - the ideal dog for our family including 2 children.
On Wednesday night he started chasing his tail around and snapping at you if you went near him to stroke him.
We took him to the vets and they said he has blocked glands which is common in staffies and gave Antibiotics.
Next few nights he seemed to be getting worse so we took him back to the Vets on Saturday only to be told that he has Lungworm. He advised to stop the Antibiotics and gave us the Spot on Treatment - Advocate.
We have put this on but he doesnt seem to be any better this morning. any ideas how long this should take before we see any improvement??
His symptoms are below -
Chasing his tail
Panting
Drooling
Snapping if you go to stroke him
Wind
Leasion on his tail - where he has kept biting it
drooping tail
coughing and bringing up flem like substance.

Any advise would be greatly received as its upsetting seeing him like this - hes usually so loving and placid

Many Thanks
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Oh hon, I'm so sorry you're having to witness this......

I'm sure other, more knowledgeable members will be on soon to give you some advice. I have no experience of this particular problem.

Big hugs to you all - hope you get it sorted soon

x0x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Constipation? The vet has covered the obvious so if it doesn`t improve, it`s a question of more tests. If his anal glands were blocked (I assume they emptied them?) it is often a sign that you need to change his diet or add fibre.
Lungworm would not cause tail-biting so that`s a separate issue. It could be unrelated conditions are clouding the issue.
Tail biting can be a sign of stress or pain or skin problems so really it sounds like a better diagnosis is needed. I`d have a longer talk to your vet if it were my dog.
lubbylou1
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys - think its another trip today
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Diagnosis seems to be a bit 'hit and miss'.

Could be any number of things, but it sounds as though it may be pain related. It's not uncommon for the breed to tail chase, but to this extent indicates something more going on.

Unfortunately, only a vet can diagnose and they can only do that on thorough investigation.

What's the history of this boy?
lubbylou1
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 09:41 AM
No history at all, hes usually very well and wouldnt hurt a fly

Hes eating and drinking well, so Im baffled
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 10:01 AM
It would seem there are a couple of issues going on here. Staffords do tail chase when they are bored and it can be habit forming.
I have a bitch that does it then she goes on her back to encourage one of the others to play.

Tail biting would indicate and irritation and could be glands.

You say he is 5 yrs old and you have had him 3 weeks, do you know his previous owners?

What is his weight.

Could be just needs a change of diet as Staffords sometimes have issues with food intolerances and a bit of exercise, along with a normal routine which includes regular worming.
lubbylou1
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
It would seem there are a couple of issues going on here. Staffords do tail chase when they are bored and it can be habit forming.
I have a bitch that does it then she goes on her back to encourage one of the others to play.

Tail biting would indicate and irritation and could be glands.

You say he is 5 yrs old and you have had him 3 weeks, do you know his previous owners?

What is his weight.

Could be just needs a change of diet as Staffords sometimes have issues with food intolerances and a bit of exercise, along with a normal routine which includes regular worming.
Hiya, Yes we know his previous owner and shes has advised that hes never done anything like this before. She came to see him on Thursday and was shocked..
His weight is 22kilos as of Wedsnesday
Not changed his diet hes still onthe same food/treats as when we first had him hence why Im so confused
Just booked him into the vets again as I really am worried and its really upsetting seeing him like this.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 12:01 PM
OK I don't know previous owner.

Can I ask what you are feeding him?
22 K for a standard sized Stafford is way too heavy which would account for the panting. He should be around 19k tops.
Bad wind is usually caused by diet, ie food with high levels of fillers and artificial colours. Which may also encourage blocked glands.

Spinning is mostly caused by boredom or stress which can become obsessive if unchecked.

As I said a little spinning may just be a message of comeon lets play but this sounds like more than that.

Is he KC reg and if so can you tell me his KC name. Thanks
lubbylou1
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
OK I don't know previous owner.

Can I ask what you are feeding him?
22 K for a standard sized Stafford is way too heavy which would account for the panting. He should be around 19k tops.
Bad wind is usually caused by diet, ie food with high levels of fillers and artificial colours. Which may also encourage blocked glands.

Spinning is mostly caused by boredom or stress which can become obsessive if unchecked.

As I said a little spinning may just be a message of comeon lets play but this sounds like more than that.

Is he KC reg and if so can you tell me his KC name. Thanks
Hes on dried food and has always been - not changed anything from his previous owner.
Thought that it could be boredom but its not, he is taken for plenty of walks and played with in the garden loads.

Taken him to another vets today again and they have checked himm out he isnt blocked up and theres nothing wrong at his back end. Just waiting for some blood test results now - fingers crossed there is nothing bad with them
No hes not KC registered
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >