Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Im glad everyone has mentioned the negative side of feeding bakers, thanks. im going to definately take jake off it, going to pick james wellbeloved and gradually change what he is on so my poor boy doesnt get an upset tummy. it probably makes me really ignorant but i have never realised how bad some foods can be, i always just assumed that if they were allowed to get sold they were ok to get eaten. know thats not the case now though so jake will only be getting good food from now on . are ones like wagg bad as well? i always like to mix his food with a tin of wet food to make it tastier for him and not as dry so its easier to eat, are these all ok to feed him?

lauren
It's not that your ignorant - you're just like the majority of owners (including me to start with), who, as you say, assumed dog food was all pretty much the same.

Wagg does have EC permitted Antioxidant in it (but so do many dog foods) and the main ingredient is wheat rather than meat, but I know plenty of people who feed Wagg and who's dogs do fine on it. Certainly it is unlikely to cause the same sort of issues as Bakers does.

Generally when looking at food - look for what artificial additives are included - I always avoid those with artificial colourants. Also look to see what the main ingredients are (they are normally listed by quantity of ingredient - so if meat is first on the list, that is the main ingredient) - the more expensive foods generally have meat as the main ingredient, the cheaper ones will have non-meat. But different dogs do well on different things, so its not always about buying the most expensive.
charly'n'cosmo
New Member!
Female 

05-06-2009, 11:04 PM
If you are going to feed your dog Bakers, you may as well save yourself some money. Simply go into a wheat field, get yourself a bale of wheat, pour some gravy on it, add 6-7 E numbers to it, stick it in a colourful plastic bag and you have pretty much the same thing at a fraction of the price. However this will do little for the health of you much loved pet.

Alternatively you could buy yourself some quality premium dog food which actually contains about 26% real meat.is hypo-allergenic and contains no garbage, E numbers etc I get a superb one from Preston Pet Supplies in Lancashire, they have theirs made direct by a big pet food manufacturer, they have really good prices as they are van based and have no overheads.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
im changing his food. i didnt realise how bad it was, he has only been on it for two weeks and now i know about it, im changing lol, all is good for wee jake

lauren
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't sell Bakers in my shop. I took it off the shelves when I took over.
People ask for it, I tell them why it isn't a good food, and they buy a food with higher quality ingreients, that isn't full of cereals etc!

I looked at the cost of Bakers compared to Arden Grange (what I feed). It's only about £10 less for a 15kg bag of bakers, but for my Bullmastiff, I would need to feed about 800g of Bakers a day, where on A.G she only needs 400g of food.
So Bakers is actually more expensive, not a cheaper option at all!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
All based on speculation.
Take all the speculation away..

Have you ever seem Bakers.... looked at the kibble ??

Google it and take a look.

All those brightly coloured pieces of kibble, browns /blues/greens/yellows

How do you suppose they get kibble that colour... colourants""

Compare it to lets say "whatsits" or any other brightly coloured crispy treats.

Would you feed your children such foods , full of artificial colour , as the only source of nutrition.

So forget all the other is it or isn't it as OK as any other.

Just going on the colour you dont need to read any ingredients to see its a load of cr@p
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
All those brightly coloured pieces of kibble, browns /blues/greens/yellows
Tsk tsk tsk, you missed red out lol! You can always tell a dog that is fed Bakers by the reddish colour of it's poo! In fact it looks exactly the same colour as those moist meaty bits that are in it
Becky
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Tsk tsk tsk, you missed red out lol! You can always tell a dog that is fed Bakers by the reddish colour of it's poo! In fact it looks exactly the same colour as those moist meaty bits that are in it
Becky
Should have just quoted all the colours of the rainbow
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:24 PM
bakers is a false ecconomy>works out expensive and is full of cheap cereal fillers!!!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I don't sell Bakers in my shop. I took it off the shelves when I took over.
People ask for it, I tell them why it isn't a good food, and they buy a food with higher quality ingreients, that isn't full of cereals etc!

!
Well done you for standing your ground on your beliefs.

if more people where interested in providing a great service and less about profit, then there would be a lkot less "bakers"tyoe stuff about methinks.

I know a pet shop pwner who would rather die than feed his dogs Bakers, yet he still sells it, becasue he says it is one of his best sellers. I can't quite get my gead around that... Im all for giving the customer what they want, thats my job too, but if they asked me to supply them with any kind of crap I simply wouldn't.
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-06-2009, 06:31 AM
you wouldnt believe how easy it is to make your own dried food, at least that way you know exactly what goes into it.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >