Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2005, 12:41 PM

Sponsoring/helping

Don't know why I look at these sections, especially Hevvur's lists

Anyway, could DW actually do something constructive to help, rather than just make supportive noises? We've (almost) all got a dog/some dogs, so the prospect of many being rehomed through the board are slim, but what else could we do?

I wonder if we could, as individuals, offer financial help with transporting those dogs with a pts date hanging over them to places of safety (assuming they can find such a place). I know we are free to make general donations at any time but I just thought that if we could make specific offers for specific dogs it would make us feel more involved and get more interest?

What do you think?

I'm going to PM Hevvur about the lurcher on the latest list. He's absolutely what I want but he is 2 years to early - I need Dinah to be older to complete our family properly. It would be a shame if he was pts and if another shelter will take him I'll pay somebody's petrol to collect and deliver him.

Anybody else want to do this?
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2005, 06:37 PM
The problem is less the transport costs, more that there just aren't enough rescue places, sadly ( and to a lesser extent, enough people to do the driving).

Rescues can only take so many dogs. I know of dogs that are going into commercial kennels now because there are no rescue spots left, but most of those are going to be full as well over the festive season.

A few ideas - you could volunteer as a transporter. Particularly if you are in the North of England: there are people jamming together transport runs and struggling to find people who can do all the stages.

You could place an ad in your local paper to raise awareness - Staffy Cross is trying to organise ads highlighting the plight of poundies, and they are getting homes, transport volunteers, and other help from this.News Ads

You could consider fostering a dog. Most foster homes have their own dogs: if you could take in a known, assessed dog for a few weeks till he finds a home, that frees up a place in a rescue kennels for a pound dog.

You could volunteer to help phone round and find rescues that have places free (if you do this, get in touch with the other people doing it first so there is no duplication)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Don't know why I look at these sections, especially Hevvur's lists

Anyway, could DW actually do something constructive to help, rather than just make supportive noises? We've (almost) all got a dog/some dogs, so the prospect of many being rehomed through the board are slim, but what else could we do?

I wonder if we could, as individuals, offer financial help with transporting those dogs with a pts date hanging over them to places of safety (assuming they can find such a place). I know we are free to make general donations at any time but I just thought that if we could make specific offers for specific dogs it would make us feel more involved and get more interest?

What do you think?

I'm going to PM Hevvur about the lurcher on the latest list. He's absolutely what I want but he is 2 years to early - I need Dinah to be older to complete our family properly. It would be a shame if he was pts and if another shelter will take him I'll pay somebody's petrol to collect and deliver him.

Anybody else want to do this?
DM I think there is 'something on the way' ..Azz has been seeking opinions on rescue topics here and we have our own dedicated rescue moderator in Cumbrian Lass so things are happening .

I seldom venture into this section either, if I do I am haunted and can't sleep
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by cycas
The problem is less the transport costs, more that there just aren't enough rescue places, sadly ( and to a lesser extent, enough people to do the driving).

Rescues can only take so many dogs. I know of dogs that are going into commercial kennels now because there are no rescue spots left, but most of those are going to be full as well over the festive season.

A few ideas - you could volunteer as a transporter. Particularly if you are in the North of England: there are people jamming together transport runs and struggling to find people who can do all the stages.

You could place an ad in your local paper to raise awareness - Staffy Cross is trying to organise ads highlighting the plight of poundies, and they are getting homes, transport volunteers, and other help from this.News Ads

You could consider fostering a dog. Most foster homes have their own dogs: if you could take in a known, assessed dog for a few weeks till he finds a home, that frees up a place in a rescue kennels for a pound dog.

You could volunteer to help phone round and find rescues that have places free (if you do this, get in touch with the other people doing it first so there is no duplication)

And there is always an extra pair of eyes needed to look through all the doggie sites/newspapers etc...to see if anyone who has recently lost their dog and posted -matches one in the pound.

The poundie posts are heartbreaking and we are just seeing the very minutest tip of the iceberg with these dogs. There are thousands of dogs pts each year. It is saddening that people can toss away a life as quickly as they toss away their old tv or camera's.

As Cycas has said, if more people fostered the assessed dogs from the rescue's then they would have more room and would be able to help even more.
If more people offered to transport them, then the less mileage people would personally have to do and more dogs could be helped and moved. (as not all people have an abundant funds for petrol costs).

As Mini has said, there are changes being made here in DW and we are trying to make it easier and better for everyone. If you have anything you would like to suggest, why not put a post in the suggestions section....

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sit...ions_0133.html