Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mags0152
New Member!
Female 

14-06-2010, 06:03 AM

Is this adolescence?

Our miniature poodle, Boo, is 6 months old. He is going to be castrated this Thursday.
We also have a 4 year old cross breed dog who is pretty well behaved.
Recently we have noticed that Boo works out what we want him to do (e.g. go into the kitchen) and does precisely the opposite. It is generally playful behaviour inviting us to chase him etc. but the only way we can get him to do anything is by giving the older dog a biscuit and loudly proclaiming what a clever boy he is. At this point Boo comes skidding to a halt in front of us and sits ready for the biscuit.
This is quite amusing to see but we don't remember our older dog being quite so set on doing the opposite of what we want every single time. He seemed more keen to please.
At other times, especially on walks, Boo's behaviour is much better and his recall, walking on and off lead and waiting when instructed are all good.
Having well behaved dogs is important to us and we don't want to make the mistake of not being firm enough with the younger dog because the older one doesn't need it if you see what I mean.
Could this just be adolescence and will the op improve things?
Oh btw he is also mounting everything in sight and has started cocking his leg.
Thanks for any advice
Margaret
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I think it is normal puppy behaviour.
You say that it is playful and that is exactly what he is being.
Nice use of positive reinforcement though. Rewarding the good behaviour of the obedient dog is a smart move!

I'm not sure castration will effect that behaviour. Most research I have read stated that castration mainly stops dogs being attacked by other males and may stop the dog from wondering.
In practice I have noticed castration had a big impact in stopping an older dog from marking in the house. But for a puppy he is simply practicing being an older dog.

Cocking a leg is a sign of sexual maturity. But that maybe a separate issue than him being mischievous.

I'll be interested in other replies on this subject.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
I think it is normal puppy behaviour.
You say that it is playful and that is exactly what he is being.
Nice use of positive reinforcement though. Rewarding the good behaviour of the obedient dog is a smart move!

I'm not sure castration will effect that behaviour. Most research I have read stated that castration mainly stops dogs being attacked by other males and may stop the dog from wondering.
In practice I have noticed castration had a big impact in stopping an older dog from marking in the house. But for a puppy he is simply practicing being an older dog.

Cocking a leg is a sign of sexual maturity. But that maybe a separate issue than him being mischievous.

I'll be interested in other replies on this subject.
I agree - he is just trying to get you to play - and great use of the older dog - the green eyed monster is a great training tool, any time I NEED to get Mia back and I know she is going to ignore I just call Ben to me for a great fun game and she comes a running
Teenage puppies are fun but hard work - sometimes you have to just treat them like they have never been trained and go back to the start

I think castration is great - but its not a behavioural fix
IMO it makes their life easier when there are so many irrisponsable owners with bitches in heat. Its prevents unwanted puppies
It prevents some health problems

Ben was done at 7 months (he is from dgs Trust so thats their rule) He haddnt learnt how to cock his leg by then and it took him until he was about 2 before he did learn
He has never tried to hump anything - but TBH I think it is more to do with personality that hormones as a couple of dogs in the street were humping before they were 8 weeks old - and after neutering still hump, and Mia (bitch) is an excited humper too)
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Blu does this and I think it's just silly puppy behaviour. I do find it funny but if I'm in a hurry it gets anoying. Blu isn't getting snipped until he is finished being shown so I guess by then he will be too old for it to help behaviour wise.

Can I ask where you got your poodle from? It's just I see you are from Scotland. One of Blu's brothers lives over your way but he is 1 not 6 months
mags0152
New Member!
Female 

14-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi there
Thanks for the replies.
We got Boo from a breeder near Alexandria on the West Coast. He isn't show quality but we wanted him for a pet. Father a chocolate poodle and mother black so he is an interesting shade of black - almost auburn in some lights!
We are having him castrated not for behavioural reasons but because we waited with the older dog and he had problems with other males being aggressive to him. Since the op there have been no problems at all but it took him longer to recover because, basically, his testicles were huge!
Boo is much more assertive than Hamish and we want the op when he is young so that there are less post operative problems.
He does hump quite a lot and like the pup mentioned he's been doing it since he was 8 weeks.
We're ignoring the behaviour and saying 'good boy' when he stops. Here's hoping!
Mags