Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 03:29 PM

metronidazole for skin condition?

hi- you may have seen my other thread a few days ago about yoda losing his hair on his nose- well its getting worse but does not look sore. so i rang my vet and my usual vet wasnt there- i spoke to another and i told him aout the condition and he said to come in and collect some medication (they already have it on record from my last vet seeing it and making note but it wasnt as bad then) so anyway he told me it would be to pick up some metronidazole (5days worth) i told him i already have this as the vets gave me extra medication for his ibd for when he gets relapses. so he said to just give him this. I trust him as hes a vet but i didnt realise it could be used for ibd AND skin conditions- anyone ever used it to treat skin? or heard of it being used? I know there a few ppl on here experienced with medications.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi GSDM it's an antibacterial preparation for the skin and can also be an antibiotic medication sometimes goes under the name of 'Flagyl' when prescribed for humans.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I've never been prescribed it for Georgie's skin condition, only ever the Cepholexine or Rylexine now. I have metronidazole for mouth abcesses. Apparently, it's one of the strongest you can take. I know a pharmacist lady I meet most mornings on my dog walk so I'll ask her for you, she seems to know all the dog medications along with human ones whenever I ask!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 09:17 PM
thanks that would be great- its only mild- but everything with yoda starts as mild and turns into major problems!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 10:26 PM
It tastes VILE be sure to hide it well!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 11:39 PM
I've looked after a patient with a skin condition and they were pxd Metronidazole Gel. It's an antibiotic treatment and the preferred line of treatment when you're diagnosed with C Diff.