Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
i don't have xp i have 98
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2005, 06:33 PM
XP is great, it is far more robust than any other window's. ME is terrible, I had a copy of it and I reverted back to win 98.

Ian
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Yep me too i have xp pro my bruv built my the computer and have had no major problems yet
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 09:43 AM
xp is exellent, i couldnt go back to any earlier ones now
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Isnt it funny both my sons who are now qualified IT Technicians, (ones off to Uni to get a degree in IT and Im so proud of him) say they dislike XP, mind you they couldnt suggest anything better LOL
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2005, 09:46 AM
The only problem I have is that I only have a restore CD I wish I had the full program because I would like to try and use Linux on mine too, (mind you I might not like it. LOL)

Ian
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
The only problem I have is that I only have a restore CD I wish I had the full program because I would like to try and use Linux on mine too, (mind you I might not like it. LOL)

Ian
Ian I think most people only have restore discs for XP. I know when my friend up the roads computer went haywire, my sons had to install 98 on her computer first before they could install the XP disc she had.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Roxy
Ian I think most people only have restore discs for XP. I know when my friend up the roads computer went haywire, my sons had to install 98 on her computer first before they could install the XP disc she had.
I can't even do that, what they have done with mine is that the full XP stuff is store on another part of the hard drive, and you can't get into it, the CD just tells the compuer where to go to get it, so I suppose if the hard drive ever goes down I'm sunk. And it means I cannot reformat my hard drive ever.

Ian
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Yeah Ian thats the same as mine.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2005, 10:43 AM
The whole restore CD thing is a pain. Especially since even if you get a CD with the full version on it it must be the same version (SP1, SP1A, SP2) for the key to work.

Ian, I would be hesitant about running Linux on a persons only PC since if things go wrong they can go dramatically wrong. What I normally suggest is just to get a cheap second hand PC and play with it on that. Pretty much any PC from the last 15 years will run linux FreeBSD kicks Linux's pants though

I use Linux, FreeBSD, and XP everyday. XP is the one I use most for 'general' work because IMO it's the best 'Windows' environment.
XP Home is the best version for most people. The only difference between Home and Pro is that Pro has a lot of extra network things that most people will never use. As such unless you know what you're doing XP Pro tends to be less secure than Home.

Graeme
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >