Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Why use harnesses

I have been noticing more and more little dogs being walked with harnesses why is this?I thought harnesses encouraged dogs to pull,correct me if I'm wrong,xxxxxxxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:28 PM
you would have thought so wouldn't you, but I've found the opposite.

My brother has an ESS who pulls like a trooper. My brother can handle him, but sometimes my Mum looks after him and she can't in a normal collar, but she can easily if he's in a harness.
(don't ask me how though )
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I cant speak for small dogs but with Jake I have found he is better on a harness than he ever was on a collar, though he is better now. We did try a harness on Skye but it did make her worse so I would hazzard a guess that it depends on what the dog is comfy with.

I have noticed more small dogs being carried in bags though.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:39 PM
didn't see the word 'little' first time...

Perhaps its so they don't strangle the wee things when they fling them in the air on the approach of a big dog

(and yes, I do know not all little dog owners behave like that)
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I thought through training any dog will stop pulling and just felt using a harness encourages pulling,xxxxxxxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Dusty walks lovely on anything, I just use what I fancy on the day, makes no diff to her as they are all equally as comfortable. Choice of the moment is her Pucci harness as it keeps her chest dry.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Dusty walks lovely on anything, I just use what I fancy on the day, makes no diff to her as they are all equally as comfortable. Choice of the moment is her Pucci harness as it keeps her chest dry.
Do you use a harness as a change of look or does it serve a purpose,xxxxxx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Some of the small dogs have harness to stop the collar pressing on the throat, especially Yorkies as they can suffer breathing difficulties. I use a walkright to stop Spencer pulling but the others dont tend to need anything.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't know why, but I've also noticed it with Hoki. She's hardly ever on a lead and although she can walk perfectly to heal on a lead in training, she does pull outside. Yes, you're right, I'm sure I could break her of the habit, its laziness on my part, but usually when she's on the lead we are going somewhere specific and its not the right time for me to stop/start/change direction etc.

I also put Stumpy on one from time to time when I know she is going to be a bit nervous and I felt the harness was safer for if she tried to bolt. However, as soon as she's comfortable with the situation, the harness comes off.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Some of the small dogs have harness to stop the collar pressing on the throat, especially Yorkies as they can suffer breathing difficulties. I use a walkright to stop Spencer pulling but the others dont tend to need anything.
See I see them being used when owners are kinda lazy,instead of correcting pulling they put a harness on so the dog doesn't choke itself and for comfortable use of the walker,though how anyone can be comfortable with a dog pulling I'll never know,Don't shoot me now for my opinion if I'm wrong I'd like to know more,just interested in folks opinion,xxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »