Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 10:23 PM

Raising the Titanic

My daughter came home today and told me that there was talk about trying to raise the Titanic again. I personally think that it should stay where it is, as a grave to the ones that sadly lost thier lives

What are your views on this? Do you think it should be raised, or like me, leave it alone?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I would leave it where it is, let the people who lost there lives rest in peace, also after this amount of time there would be a chance it would break up even more if they tried to move it.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm not sure that it could be raised now as I believe it is now disintegrating quite badly.

Whether it can be done or not, though, I firmly believe that it should be left where it is.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 07:07 AM
I too feel it should be left where it is. It is after all a final resting place for so many.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 07:31 AM
There was talk of this a few years back, the decision was to leave it. I can't believe they are thinking of raising it again!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Yep, there was talk about it a few years ago, and i'm sure they said it would be impossible - it would all break up, and things would start to decay faster.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 07:44 AM
i think it should be left .....its like the mary rose it would cost millions each year to keep water jets on it to preserve it ......
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm not fussed one way or the other I just think there are better things to spend that kind of money on. It's a bit like space exploration why?!
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Personally the Titanic story facinates me, and that of the sister ships, the Britannic and the Olympic, all sank. I would like to see it raised as I have never saw it as a grave, there have never been any signs of bodies anywhere, bones or otherwise, but I do think such an important and powerful part of British history would be fantastic to see above the waves again.
Dawn.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 08:36 AM
From the past Titanic documentaries Ive seen- the experts reckon that if an attempt was made now to bring the ship remains up then most of it would break up. An awful lot of stuff has already been taken from the wreck- pottery, furniture, personal belongings of victims......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >