Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickyyoung
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2011, 11:08 AM

New to dogsey

hi my name is nicky im new here
i have a beautiful, loving and calm white boxer called storm aged 6, we have been looking for anouther dog to join the family, my mum whos in her 70's has just ask if we can take her 3 year old mad, daft boxer-bulldog cross becouse she cant control her, she's knocked her over many times braking her arm, i dont want to see her go as i know my mum loves her dearly so we have agread to take her for a trile to see how she affects storm and the calm in my home, hopfuly with a calm and posative approch we can rehome her, if any one has any advice that might help please pass it on
thanks
nicky
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by nickyyoung View Post
has just ask if we can take her 3 year old mad, daft boxer-bulldog cross............................................. .......hopfuly with a calm and posative approch we can rehome her
Why start by thinking 're-home' surely that's the last thing you should be thinking of.

You say you've been thinking about getting another dog and your Mums dog seems ideal. First she will begin to calm down around four years old so she's almost there. Second they will make a lovely pair and most likely get on well. Thirdly you will learn so much having two dogs, you will undestand cannine psychology and this will help in all sorts of ways.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Agree with Losos.
Why not put this in the Training and behaviour thread? Boxers can be boisterous, but they are lovely dogs and can be trained to behave better than this.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey. I have no experience of introducing another dog (I got my two together), but I know from a friend of mine who has just done exactly what you are hoping to do (taking on her Mum's dog) is to introduce them to each other on neutral ground of walk them together if they haven't met already! Good luck and I hope it works out.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I took it to mean they were going to see how the dogs got on and if all worked out they could rehome her as in give her a home themselves.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Thats how I read it also
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Hello and welcome, please note that some of us read posts a few times before we dive in, i hope your attempts to settle your Moms dog with yours is a success and if you come up against specific problems please post in the training and behaviour forums i can assure you that you will get some very positive and insightful responses.
nickyyoung
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2011, 10:11 AM
thanks for your positive response,
yep the idea is to take her myself, feeling a little better about it today as we went to meet up with her and my mum yesterday and in just 10 mins my husband had her sitting on command, so we'l see what the next few weeks bring.
thanks for your posts