Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Ear Infection

My poor little Ebony has got an ear infection and I'm worried I might have made it worse.

When I cleaned everyones ears on Wednesday hers were thick black, not smelly or sore but full of dirt. I wasn't worried as the youngsters always roll about in the garden and very often have dirty ears, a quick wipe out and they're sparkling clean again. I never have anyone itching or crying out, if they do then they're straight to the vet for drops etc.

Anyway, I popped a tiny amount of Thornit in her clean ears, just as a precaution as they were blacker than usual. Last night she was hanging her head slightly to one side and trying to shake her head but it was obviously uncomfortable for her and she cried when I tried to look. I managed to take a peep and they were still very clean so I'm assuming the infection is quite deep down.

She is on 1 cephalexin twice daily and I've also given her 1/2 a Rimadyl this afternoon for the pain, she has to go back to the vet on Monday if they're no better.

Do you think my cleaning could have brought the infection on?

Also, does anyone have any good ideas for gentle bathing/cleaning, (I have got a bottle of Leo but think that's far too strong for her ears as they are),or should I just leave the antibiotics to work for a while and any ideas on how to make her more comfortable?

(Tyler had an ear infection a few months back but wasn't worried by it and definately wasn't in any pain so I just gave him the ear drops that the vet prescribed).

Thanks guys. x
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:20 PM
oooh dear poor ebony, i dont think you made it worse, it may have just dislodged something!

I would see how she goes for now let the antibiotics kick in....

Big hugs to all your babies!!!!

Alex
xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
oooh dear poor ebony, i dont think you made it worse, it may have just dislodged something!

I would see how she goes for now let the antibiotics kick in....

Big hugs to all your babies!!!!

Alex
xx
Thanks Alex
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Scorpio Ebony could have a foreign object like a grass seed in her ear, these are easily picked up at this time of year when the grass is getting longer, they are nasty little things and can soon set up an infection and cause great irritation to a dog .

I personally am not an advocate of thornit or any powder (other than those prescribed by a vet, they usually prescribe drops though) . A dogs ears contain their own wax which keeps the ear lubricated, any powder added to the ears sticks to the wax and clogs up the ear, it also makes it more difficult for the vet to see inside the ear and encourages people to delay seeking veterinary attention for what could be a painful condition (imagine having something stuck in your ear and someone sticks a load of powder on top of it ) .

I don't think you will have done any harm, thornit is just a mild antiseptic but if Ebony continues to shake her head or seems to be in any discomfort the vet should really see her ear.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:33 PM
The poor little sausage Being prone to ear-infections myself i really do feel for any person or dog who gets one!

Don't beat yourself up about cleaning your dog's ears, it would have been remiss of you to see they were very dirty and do nothing about it. The infection was almost certainly brewing when you first spotted that they were grotty, and that's likely to be the cause of teh increased production of wax. In fact, if she's in a lot of pain it may well be an inner ear infection (dunno how much you know about the structure of the ear, but that's the other side of the eardrum) so your cleaner wouldn't have got there to do anything dodgy.

I wouldn't go cleaning them while she's getting over the infection. Just let the antibiotics do their work. Sometimes a bit of warmth is soothing for earache, so maybe hold a warm (not hot) water bottle to it while you're giving her a much-needed cuddle. Having spent the last 24 hours trying to make a poorly dog more comfortable, I know that cuddles are the best medicine (for you too!!!)
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Scorpio
Also, does anyone have any good ideas for gentle bathing/cleaning, (I have got a bottle of Leo but think that's far too strong for her ears as they are),or should I just leave the antibiotics to work for a while and any ideas on how to make her more comfortable?
Poor Ebony

Finn suffers a lot from yeasty ears. I found the best way is just to clean just inside the ear flap every few days with warm (previously boiled) water on a bit of cotton wool.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks Mini, she did go to the vet this morning but she got very distressed when he tried to look into her ears, which is unlike her (mine all love having their ears and teeth cleaned and let anyone look in their ears and mouths), so he prescribed the antibiotics and told me to give her the Rimadyl for the pain. I'm assuming he's thinking that they may sedate her if it isn't any better by Monday and have a look inside

I often wonder about Thornit, some people swear by it and others won't touch it. I think its a bit abrasive if they have sore ears so wouldn't put it in then but have found it ok just to sprinkle a few granules in to keep their ears clean. Its times like this it gets you wondering about it.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Scorpio Ebony could have a foreign object like a grass seed in her ear, these are easily picked up at this time of year when the grass is getting longer, they are nasty little things and can soon set up an infection and cause great irritation to a dog .

I personally am not an advocate of thornit or any powder other than those prescribed by a vet. A dogs ears are naturally moist and contain their own wax which keeps the ear lubricated, any powder added to the eras sticks to the wax and clogs up the ear, it also makes it more difficult for the vet to see inside the ear and encourages people to delay seeking veterinary attention for what could be a painful condition (imagine having something stuck in your ear and someone sticks a load of powder on top of it ) .

I don't think you will have done any harm, thornit is just a mild antiseptic but if Ebony continues to shake her head or seems to be in any discomfort the vet should see her ear.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
The poor little sausage Being prone to ear-infections myself i really do feel for any person or dog who gets one!

Don't beat yourself up about cleaning your dog's ears, it would have been remiss of you to see they were very dirty and do nothing about it. The infection was almost certainly brewing when you first spotted that they were grotty, and that's likely to be the cause of teh increased production of wax. In fact, if she's in a lot of pain it may well be an inner ear infection (dunno how much you know about the structure of the ear, but that's the other side of the eardrum) so your cleaner wouldn't have got there to do anything dodgy.

I wouldn't go cleaning them while she's getting over the infection. Just let the antibiotics do their work. Sometimes a bit of warmth is soothing for earache, so maybe hold a warm (not hot) water bottle to it while you're giving her a much-needed cuddle. Having spent the last 24 hours trying to make a poorly dog more comfortable, I know that cuddles are the best medicine (for you too!!!)
Thanks so much for that, big cuddles it is then
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I've only ever used Thornit, have never found the ear drops prescribed by a vet to work. It could be that she already had a deep seated infection, or indeed a foreign body in there so I don't think you made it any worse.
I've never had a case of Thornit causing a problem it's usually the reverse!
Becky
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Poor Ebony

Finn suffers a lot from yeasty ears. I found the best way is just to clean just inside the ear flap every few days with warm (previously boiled) water on a bit of cotton wool.
Thanks for that Carole, the kettles always on here so warm boiled water is usually available. I shall let her meds take effect for the moment but definately bear that in mind.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >