Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:05 PM

Partial demolition of a garden shed

Hello

Has anyone ever pulled down a brick/concrete garden shed before?

We're going to partially tear ours down this weekend - leaving 2.5 walls standing and the concrete base in place.

We've been advised to dismantle it in reverse to how it was put up - roof gets peeled off first etc..

But being a first for us we don't want to kill ourselves in the process so any advice would be appreciated.

And just incase anyone was wondering why we would knock down a perfectly usable garden shed, it's so we can make a bigger garden for our predestined dog, and for us too

Many thanks.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

26-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm interested in this too as we want to knock our shed down too at some point!!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

26-05-2005, 02:29 PM
how old is the shed? I think I saw someting on tv once before and they were talking about it and they said you had to be careful and make sure there was no asbestos first.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:32 PM
I had a nasty feeling about asbestos

I wish I knew how old it was - I'm having to guess just looking at how it looks and it must be 80's perhaps....
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

26-05-2005, 02:34 PM
I think of you feel you may have it you need to get some-one out to tell you if you have it or not - I'm really not sure though - sorry not much help
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks anyway - I honestly wouldn't know what to look for but it just crossed my mind whether it might have asbestos - I do know they think that over half a million buildings in the UK still have asbestos in them as it was commonly used between 1950 - to mid 80s.

I think I might ask my neighbour about the asbestos as he's a garden living builder - sheds and things, he might know.

Thank you
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

26-05-2005, 02:39 PM
best of luck any way with it
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
I'm interested in this too as we want to knock our shed down too at some point!!
Hi Azz

I'm not if it will apply to your shed depending on what it's made out of but I've found this link about asbestos which you might find useful

http://www.asbestostesting.co.uk/asbestos-examples.htm

They say that as long as it is removed without causing dust then it's not a problem.....right then, that could be quite a problem given the building needs to be smashed down...

hmmm questionable....
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:52 PM
most shed rooves contain it .i also read somewhere that artex put up before 1991 has a high level as well
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:56 PM
It is a bit of a worry isn't it... will have to do some serious thinking on whether it is worth pulling down then.

Thank you for your advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >