Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 07:09 AM

Infected Eyes, any Advice Please?

I mentioned some months back that a work friend has a Rottie with a serious skin condition. Well, I spoke with him last night. His lovely boys coat is fine at the moment, but his eyes are not so good. He has a greenish discharge. He is on antibiotics twice a day and a steroid, once but if he is having a bad day, twice a day. The vet has said it is the skin condition manifesting itself through the eyes. He also has really saw bits inbetween his toes

Any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you xxxxx
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:30 AM
If you bathe the eyes with warm milk or alt water to clean them and then from the chemist by some "Golden Eye Ointment" the generic name is Chloramphenical cream - don't tell them that it is for a dog as they are not licenced for pet probucts but it is the exact same product that you will pay at least £5 more from the vets! For his paws the best thing is E45 cream or Vaseline to keep the area fromcracking. Poor thing - hope he is feeling better soon x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
If you bathe the eyes with warm milk or alt water to clean them and then from the chemist by some "Golden Eye Ointment" the generic name is Chloramphenical cream - don't tell them that it is for a dog as they are not licenced for pet probucts but it is the exact same product that you will pay at least £5 more from the vets! For his paws the best thing is E45 cream or Vaseline to keep the area fromcracking. Poor thing - hope he is feeling better soon x
Thanks xxx Unfortunately, this is something that he has had since very young. Although it is better than it has been at the moment, so that is something xxx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Have you considered trying an antihistamine? I always have Optrex Infected Eye in the fridge if the eyes are truely infected (greenish or yellowish thick discharge) but maybe some allergy relief might help clear the eyes. However, if the vet believes this is part and parcel of his skin problem then it may not be simple to resolve.
Has he been on an elimination diet?
Becky
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Agree with both Ally and Mahooli. I buy golden eye drops for my lot when they get infected eyes. I would be considering a change of diet for this dog though. A lot of skin issues can be diet related. If your friend cannot cope with raw feeding, a holistic food such as Robbies is a good alternative. I would also give Dorwest a ring. My Rio's hot spots were cured by giving her easy green which is spinach, parsley and watercress. They give great advice over the phone and I can really recommend their products.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Have you considered trying an antihistamine? I always have Optrex Infected Eye in the fridge if the eyes are truely infected (greenish or yellowish thick discharge) but maybe some allergy relief might help clear the eyes. However, if the vet believes this is part and parcel of his skin problem then it may not be simple to resolve.
Has he been on an elimination diet?
Becky
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Agree with both Ally and Mahooli. I buy golden eye drops for my lot when they get infected eyes. I would be considering a change of diet for this dog though. A lot of skin issues can be diet related. If your friend cannot cope with raw feeding, a holistic food such as Robbies is a good alternative. I would also give Dorwest a ring. My Rio's hot spots were cured by giving her easy green which is spinach, parsley and watercress. They give great advice over the phone and I can really recommend their products.
He has had tests done to find out what he is allergic to and these items have been eliminated from his diet. I did forget to mention that someone else recommended that they give him piriton, but the owners did not know if this is ok with his current meds? Diet wise, he is on JWB (the flavours which he is allowed to have) and he also is given Wainwrights now. The owners did consider putting him on Wainwrights and that alone, but the vet said as the dog has been fed kibble all his life , putting him onto a moist diet may affect his intestine.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 10:10 AM
ps thanks for all the tips so far, I will pass them all on xxxx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 07:36 AM
I would do as the others say re eyes with AB ointment for his eyes, and regularly wipe his eyes with a cotton ball and warm salty water, starting from the nearest bit of his eye to his nose outwards, wiping once and discarding and getting another, and do the same thing until the eyes is clean, then add the ointment (ointment twice a day, cleaning as needed) and as for inbetween his toes has he got a grass allergy?? In any case I would rinse his feet in something that has Chorhexidine in it, mainly at night so they are clean as long as possible.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks Emma. His owners were told he is allergic to something in carpet so they had the floor laminated and there has been no change. I don't think he is allergic to grass. I know he loves running about on grass but going over the concrete to get there he seems in pain. Another thing his owner has said, he has found lumps of blood from his feet, but can never find where from the dogs feet the blood has come from????
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 10:46 AM
What does he mean by 'lumps of blood' does he mean a clot? If he can't find it on the feet then the chances are it's not coming from his feet.
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >