Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Can you just keep a stray dog then without having to take it to the nearest pound?
You can here! It's how most people 'acquire' their dogs in Cyprus! And the 'pounds' and 'rescues' are almost always full and can't take them anyway.
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm trying to find his owners myself, flyers walking the dog etc in hopes someone will come forward. I also had my vet check him for a micro chip an there wasn't one, plus I put an ad in our local paper. If no one claims him in two months then he can stay until then I just have to keep and trying without getting to attached. Scratch the last part I'm already in love with this dog.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You can here! It's how most people 'acquire' their dogs in Cyprus! And the 'pounds' and 'rescues' are almost always full and can't take them anyway.
The only reason I asked is because the dog was wearing a collar with his name on it. Stray dogs here - usually dumped as no longer wanted - never have collars on.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I am assuming the OP will have enquired at the local places and with the police or anywhere else you can report a stray dog if it is actually wearing a name tag?

*editing to say after looking back at the thread, I can't actually see anywhere the OP does say they've taken any steps to find the owner?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-08-2013, 04:27 PM
She's had him at the vets to see if he is chipped and is also putting up flyers and walking around with him asking, and put an adv in the local paper. Not much more can be done really!!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
She's had him at the vets to see if he is chipped and is also putting up flyers and walking around with him asking, and put an adv in the local paper. Not much more can be done really!!!!
Yes indeed. I had not seen the last post by the OP when I typed my last one.

Hope this 'match' turns out well!
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2013, 05:11 PM
The only thing it said on his tag anyway was Loki, his name. No address or phone number to help me. I think someone either dumped him or he ran off because of how dirty he was. When he came Loki looked solid brown and his nails were way over grown, like almost starting to curl. None of the locals have a clue as to who owns him and the only Shiba my vet knows of died 4 years ago. My niece, who travels for a living, is spreading flyers out further. I don't trust/like the local shelter because of how dirty and overcrowded it is at times.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-08-2013, 05:19 PM
He has been sent to you, things happen as they are meant to.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2013, 07:47 PM
No one who likes dogs around here would dream of reporting a stray. The routine is they are taken to a pound and, if not identified by microchip and repatriated, or claimed or rehomed within one week - they are PTS.

But - as all the pounds and rescues are full to bursting - well, my guess is they don't take most of them there to begin with. I've seen just one picked up from outside my block. It still upsets me to think about it. Two big ropes round its neck chucked on the back of a flatbed truck and the ropes tied to diagonal corners so it couldn't move an inch. Then they ran the scanner over it and drove off. The dog was terrified and screaming.

Even the so called dog warden, when having any dogs pointed out to him has said 'ah yes but you know what will happen to it if I pick it up'. Not that I know how he could pick it up as he rides round on a moped!
MissingBud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Okay Loki is here to stay. I met his owners at the pet store, see page 3 of Cute dog Wandered into Home thread for more details, and Loki turned into a totally different dog. They all but told me to keep him so Loki came home with me and had some beef stew with his kibble. After you read what happened it truly is a win win situation.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >