Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Home made dog toys

We all know that some dogs like to chew things (puppies are certainly b*ggers for that!)
I was just wondering if anyone actually made toys for their dogs/puppies to save on money?

I read in a dog training book (from the RSPCA) that a good toy idea is a plastic bottle with buttons or something in so that it makes a noise when pushed.
What are other peoples views on this?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I often give Tonks plastic bottles and she loves them, has done since she was tiny...the noisier the toy the better as far as she is concerned.

Personally i wouldn't put buttons in them as i would have thought they could be swallowed very easily. Tonks can chew the top of a bottle fairly easily so i watch her, or take it off before hand.

I usually put a handful of kibble or other treats inside them and then give it to her.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I can see the attraction in that but I would be concerned that the bottle would split,then the buttons or what ever could easily be swallowed.
Mo loves my socks (it's the attractive smell of my feet, don't you know ) and will pinch them and run off with them. So I made a tight sock ball with some old ones. She doesn't want to know
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
The RSPCA advised giving a puppy a plastic bottle with buttons inside?????

WHAT THE......?????
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I can see the attraction in that but I would be concerned that the bottle would split,then the buttons or what ever could easily be swallowed.
Mo loves my socks (it's the attractive smell of my feet, don't you know ) and will pinch them and run off with them. So I made a tight sock ball with some old ones. She doesn't want to know
I was a little worried about that too, that and the dog getting his teeth caught in the bottle. Although I have a tendancy to worry too much sometimes.
Old socks aren't as fun as new socks.. Plus, if she takes the new socks then maybe Mummy might come and follow. :P

Kibble in a bottle sounds like a good idea. Like one of those kong toys. We have one of those but Sox never cared for them.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
2 socks tied in a knot in the middle is all I have ever made for a pup. They do love chewing up plastic bottles too but always take off the lid and ring round the neck first...AND DON'T EVER PUT BUTTONS IN IT!
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
The RSPCA advised giving a puppy a plastic bottle with buttons inside?????

WHAT THE......?????
I just went to double check the book it's in & they've just called it a 'Shake Bottle' - but from what it looks like, it's a clear, plastic bottle - with lid & what looks like fish pebbles in it.. So no buttons, but maybe they'd have been better than fish pebbles??
Odd.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I too think buttons in a bottle not a good idea. But to be honest, have never needed to fill a bottle for Takara to make a noise with it. I leave the tops off and she loves making tunes with it by chomping on it and making as much noise as possible!

I also used an old pillow slip and tied knots in either end and it's lasted longer than most of her other tug toys!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:22 PM
It depends how young and strong your puppy is i suppose. If you have a tiny puppy who likes movement and sound and you are going to play with the bottle with your puppy then maybe it would be ok......but edible kibble would still have the same effect.

I also did the sock thing with Tonks, but used to stuff treats in it and then tie it in a knot....he loved ripping and chewing it to get the treats out.

I also used washing balls with cheese, or fish paste smeared round the inside......it would take her ages to lick it all out. She used to chew it aswell, btu never managed to pull pieces off and never hurt herself.
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
It depends how young and strong your puppy is i suppose. If you have a tiny puppy who likes movement and sound and you are going to play with the bottle with your puppy then maybe it would be ok......but edible kibble would still have the same effect.

I also did the sock thing with Tonks, but used to stuff treats in it and then tie it in a knot....he loved ripping and chewing it to get the treats out.

I also used washing balls with cheese, or fish paste smeared round the inside......it would take her ages to lick it all out. She used to chew it aswell, btu never managed to pull pieces off and never hurt herself.
Do you ever worry that he might rip the sock and then ingest some of it? Sox has teddies that he chews on but he always pulls out the stuffing & obviously then I have to take it from him. Sometimes they can be sewn up and returned to him, but they never last very long.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >