View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Personally I would be more worried about something that appeared quickly and was quite big, Remy had alot of cysts and Jamie has a tiny incy one, but my breed is known for them... think I would insist that he needs to see a vet just incase...
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by plainjane View Post
I would take him too and sort out the consequences later.
You rebel you!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I would take him to a vet and get it checked out, regardless of what the charity have said. I think the charity are being irresponsible in telling you to wait. It may be nothing to worry about - I hope so - but how awful if it is something serious and he doesn't see a vet until it's too late.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Could this be where he was vaccinated or chipped? That can cause a lump.
If it isn`t `attached` to any bone or organs I`d say it probably wasn`t that urgent, unless it is growing or feels hot.

A cautionary note though - I had a bitch who had a mammary lump which doubled in size in the 4 days it took to get her to a vet ( we were moving to the UK at the time)- she was operated on 2 days later and it was a very aggressive cancer. She survived, but wouldn`t if I`d left it. But from what you say, I doubt it is anything like that.
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2009, 01:21 PM
As it appeared overnight i wonder could it be a "hot spot". Hot spots in dogs are not like we would take. If it is one, it could burst at any time & quite silly of the charity not to have it seen to as hot spots are very painful things. If it is one a vet can aspirate it there & then for the dog. Its a shame you have been put in this position. I would suggest a vet visit is in order too as even if harmless, its best to know.

Hope you get it sorted.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by plainjane View Post
I would take him too and sort out the consequences later.
Yep, me too.
Originally Posted by fluffybland View Post
You rebel you!
It's why we love her huh?!
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I would take him to a vet and get it checked out, regardless of what the charity have said. I think the charity are being irresponsible in telling you to wait. It may be nothing to worry about - I hope so - but how awful if it is something serious and he doesn't see a vet until it's too late.
I agree. I think he's probably been fine but it's always worth checking a lump out...
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I was very naughty and took Josh to vets, it appears he did in fact have a series of anti biotic injections at that site when he had emergency surgery at the beginning of the month and the lump is a reaction to them. So that is good, it will go down eventually. When injections were mentioned by a couple of you earlier i was thinking of his innoculations

Thanks to all for replying though, i still think it was worth taking him, just for peace of mind! And the vet didn't charge me either, so no-one up on high can complain!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Could this be where he was vaccinated or chipped? That can cause a lump.If it isn`t `attached` to any bone or organs I`d say it probably wasn`t that urgent, unless it is growing or feels hot.

A cautionary note though - I had a bitch who had a mammary lump which doubled in size in the 4 days it took to get her to a vet ( we were moving to the UK at the time)- she was operated on 2 days later and it was a very aggressive cancer. She survived, but wouldn`t if I`d left it. But from what you say, I doubt it is anything like that.
That sounds exactly like a lump my old dog had for many years, and we just kept a very strict eye on it. It's very common, apparently , at the vaccination site I've recently found out, and it goes kinda flat for years, but you have to watch for when it gets more rounded and raised, just like I did, when we had a biopsy done, and even though the results came back "inconclusive" both the vet and us knew because the lump just got bigger and bigger and bigger over 3 weeks........They can't operate on those, they're called sarcoma ??? something or others, and they attach themselves to the spine and allsorts and it's a nightmare for any vet to operate, as my vet told me at that time.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybland View Post
I was very naughty and took Josh to vets, it appears he did in fact have a series of anti biotic injections at that site when he had emergency surgery at the beginning of the month and the lump is a reaction to them. So that is good, it will go down eventually. When injections were mentioned by a couple of you earlier i was thinking of his innoculations

Thanks to all for replying though, i still think it was worth taking him, just for peace of mind! And the vet didn't charge me either, so no-one up on high can complain!
You total star! Good for you for taking him and I am SO glad that all is okay. Brilliant that you weren't charged too - result!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2009, 09:18 PM
glad u got it sorted one of my springers has a lump the size of a tennis ball on her side but its a fatty lump and doesnt bother her shes got plenty of others as well i just keep an eye on them. i noticed the other spinger had a strange lump under one of his legs but it was his mcrochip that had moved!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2